Feedback for a very novice singer please?

simpleguy

Hey all,

So here's my story. Got a guitar a few months back, been following youtube videos to learn how to play some chords, pretty much zero experience with music. I did "play" the clarinet very poorly in Grade 11 because I was forced to ... :facepalm:

Anyway, I've really loved playing the guitar, and have recently been inspired by acoustic cover artists to try singing too. I know I have a horrible voice, but I guess I just want to know how bad? And what major things I can do to improve? I really enjoy playing the guitar and trying to sing at the same time, which is a bit challenging ... but I'm doing this to just have fun at the end of it.

Anyway, here's a sample recording I recorded from my laptop. https://soundcloud.com/user-723477492/htd2/s-dHsvf

Thanks everyone :)

Listen.........you have decent sense of timing........and you can play and sing at the same time. That's further than many ever get. So...........now you need to keep learning on the guitar...........which can be a never ending journey...............and keep practicing your singing..........which does need some work but seems to be suffering more from lack of confidence than lack of talent. Now that you know your attempt at a 1st small step went fine.........go for it and keep us in the loop.

I don't think you have a terrible voice at all. You have a clear voice that is pleasant to listen to, can sing in time, articulate, and can hear and reproduce pitch. Those are the raw materials you need to become a vocalist. The rest is practice and development. I'd suggest keeping it up, finding other people who share your interests, and seeking out lessons on guitar and voice. You'll be surprised by the amount of progress you can make in short order.

Mickster and Robus,

You have no idea how much your comments have boosted my self confidence. I was always afraid that my voice was just so terrible, so no one has ever actually heard me sing. Now I know that there is a chance I can improve, and I will keep working as hard as I can.

I am so grateful that you guys took the time to listen and encourage me, thank you very much.

Welcome to the club! Most singers think their voice is terrible. :)

One sure way to improve your vocals is to learn more about recording. Proper mic techniques, acoustics, EQ, compression, effects and such. So try to learn more about recording and stuff. Come back and hear the same song after a year and you will amazed at how good your voice sounds :). To see yourself improve little bit is just a joy.

Also just a few sugggestins

1. Speak into the mic. the words aren't really clear, especially the first few lines.
2. Keep the mic slightly slanted up towards your mouth so that you don-t get that puff or burst of air.

I think voice is decent and actually you're holding yourself back by not singing a bit louder...I feel you're singing too quiet to the point where your phrase endings drop off and to the point where you're not giving yourself enough breath support for notes! Also, I think if you opened up a bit more it would result in more consistent tone. Finally, I think you can go for some of the higher notes in that tune that I felt you shied away from...particularly if you gave yourself more breath support. My $0.02.

Back