Do You Like (Or Hate) Your Voice?

How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!

Votes: 95 12.4%
  • My voice is o.k., but could be better.

Votes: 186 24.2%
  • I have mixed feelings about it.

Votes: 214 27.9%
  • My voice is not so good, but I live with it.

Votes: 103 13.4%
  • I hate hearing myself on tape. Sometimes I want to quit.

Votes: 170 22.1%

• Total voters
if i am not particularly strong in one style i like the ability to sing different genres and to create different vocals fairly easy

i used to hate my voice. after going to a voice instructor for two years and playing to my strengths i've grown to really like my voice. there is always room for improvement, but it feels like a worthwhile usable instrument now. i'm all for getting training so you don't throw your voice out all the time. that being said, you have to get a teacher that works well with you and makes you feel excited about getting better.

I wish I could vote twice: once for my 'clean' vocals and another for my 'gutural'/'harsh' (death metal) vocals, hahah.

I love my gutural singing. Wasn't for my love for guitar and lack of time I'd certainly be in a few band right now (definitely no running short on invitations, haha!)

Now my clean voice... well, I just seem not to get much along with it. It's not actually bad, but I don't know, just doesn't look like me hahah. Or maybe I just wanted my clean pitch was as low as mu gutural singing. Probably that.

i used to really hate my vocal voice when i was growing up, but the older i get, the more i embrace the "flaws" that it has. plus for my style of music, there is no "singing"..... i play metal and always have, so i lucked out on not needing "proper technique" and "pitch" and whatnots. hahah for my style, if it sounds punchy, thats the main thing.... but i've developed a weird high scream over the years, based on my flaws, and well, it works for me and i'm finally comfortable with it.... but that didn't happen until like the past few years. i personally say, embrace the voice you have, no one else has one like it. work with what you got and play to your strong points. you can hear "confidence" in a vocal track, and for me, thats what makes it sound good. if you're not confident, people will hear that.... but once again, this is just my opnion and like i said, i lucked out cause i don't really have to "sing"..... just be loud and crazy. hahahaha

https://soundcloud.com/#user759033361/mustache-envy-666

hope its ok to leave this here, but this is what i mean about my voice. shrug, it is, what it is.... and i embrace it.

Yup, I often listen to my recordings and hate what I'm hearing, although I get good feedback mostly :D I'm on Reverbnation if you want to take a listen - under Keri Shaw

For what I've being doing, my voice is good enough, although there are some things that I can't do, or that require much effort to be done, and I wish I could do easily (reach some low or high notes, for example). So everyday I practice and listen to my own recordings to see if I'm improving.

I have a love hate relationship with my voice depending on what I'm trying to sing. As a bass it's hard to find pop/rock tunes that sound good in my vocal range. For singing in church choir or classical settings I have a deep full bass voice that I like. I've got a two octave range but it starts at the E below the bass staff and goes to the E above middle C.

I have a singing voice that is more "classical", technique-wise, which doesn't lend itself well to contemporary music, i.e. anything on the radio. Originally, I wrote alternative rock/punk music, but I just couldn't sing it in the way that made it sound good. Like, I was too quiet and I just didn't have that "feel". I'm sure any of you can understand what I'm getting at.

Lately, however, I write more of a folksy style of music, so my voice fits in a little better. I guess we all gotta play to our strengths.

Yes. My vocals ruin all my carefully laid down tracks. I know exactly how I want the vocals to sound, have all the harmonies in my head but, when I start to sing them, realise I cannot hit certain notes, stay in key or hold enough air in my lungs. I disguise my poor singing voice by putting the mic through various gadgets and this helps but it's never perfect. Of course, singing lessons will help anyone - how to breath and exercises designed to train the vocal cords and muscles - but I'm not about to pay someone £25 an hour because I cannot afford it. I think recording your own voice is a terribly hard thing to do at the best of times and worse for anyone, like me, who is simply not a singer.
I make do and mend and live in the hope that someone who can sing will come along and offer to sing for me. Curiously, with all those people willing to humiliate themselves on X Factor type programmes, I suspect there must be thousands of folk who just love to sing. Finding one of them to spend a few hours here and there in my studio has so far been fruitless.

I posted here three years ago. I must say--three years later, I love my voice for both singing and talking. It's grown on me :) and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

yes yes yes! this is very common for singers. my friend sings really good but HATES listening to her own voice, it has the fact to do with our voice sounding a bit higher than how we think we sound like.
I got some tips for you guys to not make yourself hate your voice (i used to hate it, but now i'm alright):

- monitor yourself singing (like on your editing program, when you record yourself singing, click the monitor button to hear the real playback of your voice)
- record yourself singing and then change the pitch to lower/higher (idk why but it worked for me and my friends, they thought their voice is good when they edit their pitch)
- keep singing over and over again and upload it (so that people can give you feedback, if its good, you'll feel better about yourself)

it took me well around couple of months from the first time i started to upload things on the internet and being comfortable with my own voice

It has been weird for me to get used to hearing myself through stage monitors or coming out of the DAW after a several-years hiatus from live performance. I find myself getting spooked for a song or two before settling in and going with it.

I liken it to when I went from playing Marshall half stacks to a Mesa Boogie MkIV. The first time I actually heard my playing coming through that precisely, I realized I was a pretty sloppy player! With my voice I hear every single mistake literally amplified and it gets in my head and throws my game.

It's all about confidence. Tim Armstrong can't sing worth a shit but he's one of my favorite vocalists.

I disagree. If that were true, all the auditionists on American Idol would be good. :laughings:

LMAO! I get your point, but I'm trying to say this is all really subjective. Find me the best opera singer in the world and they can't sing a Tim McIIrath or Frank Turner song like the songs' writers. Fat Mike can't convincingly sing a Jessica Harp song, and Cher can't sing Mariachi El Bronx. Bif Naked and Brody Dalle both make great music, but you're not going to see either one singing anything from Very Warm for May.

OK I take it back Cher can probably sing Mariachi El Bronx, and I will pay big money to see that.

I had a lot of trouble hearing myself sing. And it lasted for many months. Since then I have gotten more used to it. But I am still unsure about it. The best example I can give is this. Think about Tanya Tucker's voice. She has a very prominent resonance in her voice that can be a blessing or a curse. She sounds like she smokes 300 cigarettes a day. If she sang covers, she might not do very well. But for originals, she holds her own. My voice is something like that(minus the smokes). Because I have "something" in there that won't go away. I can sing many covers. But I would be a fool to try and sound like the original artist. I sound like me. And I guess that's good. If I can learn to make it work.

Go here and check out a few songs to see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/user/2NiteMusic/videos

Back