Cunfused about my voice :( need feedback..

BubbleGums

hello, so I've been singing since I was really young (I really never had any singing lessons, everything I've learned was from my own), I don't know what kind of voice I have, or what fits me exactly
so I kinda did a freelance (no track) from the song and I am telling you by Jennifer holiday (I really love soul music from people like etta james and jennifer holiday and many other artists), I am not sure I have those kind of vocals that I require to do soul singing or powerful singing, but I've tried to sing it, I was off pitch and off notes for a bit..but I just need your guys feedback! what am I supposed to do? what should I focus on, like do I need a coach and vocal training so I can control my voice etc... ANY FEEDBACK even if it's bad, I am looking forward to read it, I don't mind, no one is perfect and we all start from zero.

Here's a link: https://soundcloud.com/user-803308141/diva-and-i-am-telling-you-by-jennifer-holiday

hello, so I've been singing since I was really young (I really never had any singing lessons, everything I've learned was from my own), I don't know what kind of voice I have, or what fits me exactly
so I kinda did a freelance (no track) from the song and I am telling you by Jennifer holiday (I really love soul music from people like etta james and jennifer holiday and many other artists), I am not sure I have those kind of vocals that I require to do soul singing or powerful singing, but I've tried to sing it, I was off pitch and off notes for a bit..but I just need your guys feedback! what am I supposed to do? what should I focus on, like do I need a coach and vocal training so I can control my voice etc... ANY FEEDBACK even if it's bad, I am looking forward to read it, I don't mind, no one is perfect and we all start from zero.

Here's a link: https://soundcloud.com/user-803308141/diva-and-i-am-telling-you-by-jennifer-holiday

Well you wanted an honest opinion, and I honestly think you are a bit tone deaf, but I don't mean that as an insult.. It seems like you're yelling in some parts of the song, maybe try a song that more calm and then I will be able to give my full opinion.. Keep on singing though if that's your passion.. the song you sang here doesn't really work

Oddly, considering you were not singing to a track, you actually stayed in the same key - which is not bad really. However, you really make some odd noises, have terrible diction and slur words together very oddly. It's not that nice to listen to because it's uncontrolled, and not a song that flatters your voice. I'd prefer to hear you sing to a track of some kind, it's easier to judge the quality. Recording wise it sounds really nasty - and that doesn't help.

Well, that was bizarre, sounds like you're face down in a bathtub singing into an iPhone.

I agree with Rob's criticisms. You need to post up some stuff of you singing to a backing track. Have you got any proper recording gear? If not, plenty of people here would be happy to advise.

Well, that was bizarre, sounds like you're face down in a bathtub singing into an iPhone.

I agree with Rob's criticisms. You need to post up some stuff of you singing to a backing track. Have you got any proper recording gear? If not, plenty of people here would be happy to advise.

Yes I don't have a recording gear, would love to get help on what I need to buy and such, but I do have a studio microphone and I've recorded few weeks ago a cover of when we were young I was kinda off the notes on some parts https://soundcloud.com/user-803308141/when-we-were-young

Oddly, considering you were not singing to a track, you actually stayed in the same key - which is not bad really. However, you really make some odd noises, have terrible diction and slur words together very oddly. It's not that nice to listen to because it's uncontrolled, and not a song that flatters your voice. I'd prefer to hear you sing to a track of some kind, it's easier to judge the quality. Recording wise it sounds really nasty - and that doesn't help.

Yes the quality is really bad sorry, about the noises it's a hard song, have you heard Jennifer holiday live before? she changes her vocal ranges every two to three secs.

@Deni I strongly disagree with you, considering that I don't know the music theory or how to read notes off the chords or anything, I just do it from how I remember the song, yelling is part of this song, it's one of the most powerful songs at least for me.

Yes I don't have a recording gear, would love to get help on what I need to buy and such, but I do have a studio microphone and I've recorded few weeks ago a cover of when we were young I was kinda off the notes on some parts https://soundcloud.com/user-803308141/when-we-were-young

Mate, that still sounds pretty ropey. There are bits where you're just about on pitch, but you are also all over the place. Whenever you try and do something "expressive" it just comes across as slury and out of tune. Your breath control seems messy too so its getting in the way of what you're trying to do.

Its probably not beyond you to learn to sing if you really want to though - I don't think you're "tone deaf" as someone said and you should be able to develop your ear.

If you want to teach yourself try this:
1. Install yourself a copy of Reaper and download a few crappy karaoke style backing tracks of songs you like.
2. Record what you sound like singing along with them. (hint - it will be shit - but don't worry).
3. Look up some basic tutorials on singing breath control on YouTube - there's probably loads of them.
4. Go back to your track and don't sing, but just hum the vocal melody, using proper breath control.
5. Repeat this until you are comfortable you are pretty much on the melody.
6. Now add "Reatune" to your track (anyone on here can help you with that) and clear up all of the mistakes. Reatune is an autotune effect.
7. Go back to humming the track until you don't really need to add correction with autotune.
8. Now start trying to add words - concentrate on your breathing and don't try and be too expressive at first.

You can short-cut this by having a few singing lessons, but you'll enjoy doing it this way and you will see improvement - in fact, after a first few crap attempts it'll probably be pretty rapid.

Other people might have better techniques but this seems to work for me - I'm really not a natural singer.

Mate, that still sounds pretty ropey. There are bits where you're just about on pitch, but you are also all over the place. Whenever you try and do something "expressive" it just comes across as slury and out of tune. Your breath control seems messy too so its getting in the way of what you're trying to do.

Its probably not beyond you to learn to sing if you really want to though - I don't think you're "tone deaf" as someone said and you should be able to develop your ear.

If you want to teach yourself try this:
1. Install yourself a copy of Reaper and download a few crappy karaoke style backing tracks of songs you like.
2. Record what you sound like singing along with them. (hint - it will be shit - but don't worry).
3. Look up some basic tutorials on singing breath control on YouTube - there's probably loads of them.
4. Go back to your track and don't sing, but just hum the vocal melody, using proper breath control.
5. Repeat this until you are comfortable you are pretty much on the melody.
6. Now add "Reatune" to your track (anyone on here can help you with that) and clear up all of the mistakes. Reatune is an autotune effect.
7. Go back to humming the track until you don't really need to add correction with autotune.
8. Now start trying to add words - concentrate on your breathing and don't try and be too expressive at first.

You can short-cut this by having a few singing lessons, but you'll enjoy doing it this way and you will see improvement - in fact, after a first few crap attempts it'll probably be pretty rapid.

Other people might have better techniques but this seems to work for me - I'm really not a natural singer.

Yes I am aware of that, but don't think my main problem is not being able to read chords? (I don't play any instruments) , I always thought that's why I am always off pitch and just destroy some notes.
but thanks for the tips! do you advice me to start learning the piano and such! wouldn't that help me with writing music and songs?

Yes I am aware of that, but don't think my main problem is not being able to read chords? (I don't play any instruments) , I always thought that's why I am always off pitch and just destroy some notes.
but thanks for the tips! do you advice me to start learning the piano and such! wouldn't that help me with writing music and songs?

No, the problem with your singing is little to do with you not playing an instrument, although playing an instrument will help you develop your ear.

Obviously learning an instrument will help you write music and songs. Both piano and guitar are ideal songwriting tools with a similar learning curve. Guitars are cheaper and more portable though.

If you need any help with installing Reaper, what Audio Interface to get, buying a guitar etc, post back. There's plenty of people that can advise you. I'll be pretty good at advising you what to do, at home on a shoestring budget. Anything more than that and I'm outta my depth.

Yes the quality is really bad sorry, about the noises it's a hard song, have you heard Jennifer holiday live before? she changes her vocal ranges every two to three secs.

@Deni I strongly disagree with you, considering that I don't know the music theory or how to read notes off the chords or anything, I just do it from how I remember the song, yelling is part of this song, it's one of the most powerful songs at least for me.

I wouldn't say yelling is part of the song, being louder and hitting the right notes is.. It just sounds like you're trying to imitate her singing, but you're overdoing it.. I didn't post a reply to offend you, I just think that you have to try to control your voice more.. also, you picked a hard song to sing, try something easier first.. You don't have to know music theory or how to read notes, you don't even have to know how to read notes to play an instrument.. Jimi Hendrix played a guitar without knowing how to read music.. Ofcourse the education helps, but it's not necessary. You asked for feedback and I gave you my honest opinion.

Oh yeah, I forgot, post the cover of When we were young here, maybe that one is better.

Last edited:
He knew plenty of musical theory though!

Anyway, Bubblegums, what are you trying to achieve with music?

I want to be a singer and a songwriter, it's something I love to do but I will have to be brave to do it, because sometimes some things are not meant for everyone and sometimes it can be the opposite, like some singers who can't even sing are more successful than people who can sing and have amazing vocals.
I've been writing songs since I was like 13 even thought I don't play an instrument, I still manage to write songs.

so I found this forum and I thought I will get advice if it will be good to like get a vocal coach or if I can learn it by my self or any advice really.

Now question for you.
if I want to record covers as far as my knowledge for studio equipment's you need:
Mic + It's equipments
Cabels
audio interface
Headphones
Studio Program

is that it? or am I missing something.

I wouldn't say yelling is part of the song, being louder and hitting the right notes is.. It just sounds like you're trying to imitate her singing, but you're overdoing it.. I didn't post a reply to offend you, I just think that you have to try to control your voice more.. also, you picked a hard song to sing, try something easier first.. You don't have to know music theory or how to read notes, you don't even have to know how to read notes to play an instrument.. Jimi Hendrix played a guitar without knowing how to read music.. Ofcourse the education helps, but it's not necessary. You asked for feedback and I gave you my honest opinion.

Oh yeah, I forgot, post the cover of When we were young here, maybe that one is better.

I posted the cover earlier to JDOD,
https://soundcloud.com/user-803308141/when-we-were-young

I am off pitch on some parts and whenever I've tried to put efforts into it, it turns out bad ;c
this what he told me, but I was aware of it before...

and no haha I didn't get offended not at all, if I would get offended by someone who is trying to help me, I wouldn't be here in the first place :)

I want to be a singer and a songwriter, it's something I love to do but I will have to be brave to do it, because sometimes some things are not meant for everyone and sometimes it can be the opposite, like some singers who can't even sing are more successful than people who can sing and have amazing vocals.
I've been writing songs since I was like 13 even thought I don't play an instrument, I still manage to write songs.

so I found this forum and I thought I will get advice if it will be good to like get a vocal coach or if I can learn it by my self or any advice really.

Now question for you.
if I want to record covers as far as my knowledge for studio equipment's you need:
Mic + It's equipments
Cabels
audio interface
Headphones
Studio Program

is that it? or am I missing something.
Yes, you just need a mic and cable, Audio Interface (normally termed an AI), decent headphones and a studio program (known as a Digital Audio Workstation, DAW)

Practice singing some covers over backing tracks while you're teaching yourself to play a few instruments.

You sound like youre trying really hard.
Try just having fun- enjoyment, not so serious or 'working' to sound 'right'

Id say with your voice try singing aretha franklin, and a whitney houston song too, and maybe something like beyonce, or something pop even katy perry. Not my kina music...I dont know if any of thats your style but thats the kinda stuff i was thinking would fit your voice too? Idk. Just a thought.

Mainly id say just breath out while youre singing if youre holding your breath at all while singing...and have fun with it...its just singing after all.... just my 2 cents at least

Btw- how did u get ppl to critique you? Just post on here and wait?
I just joined and posted a quick vocal to get honest opinions on and wondered if i need to do anything else to actually let ppl know ive posted it....or do i just put it up and wait?
Thx

Ps have fun :)

You aren't composing songs, you're composing melodies. A song is a combination of melody with some kind of musical structure. That's perhaps a bit technically awry, because it's more complex than that, but the essence is right. You mentioned chords - they're pretty well the standard way a song is composed. Songs will have a key. A solo line has an implied key - but it's rarely definite. Is it Am or C Major? Could be both. The chord sequence usually gives it away. Normally when writing a song a melody might appear that is then the basis for the chords that company it. Play your melody to people one by one and they might pick very different chords from each other? Would they be the same song or arrangements? Music can be quite complicated. It's a bit like being an artist, but not having the complete palette of colours. You have at the moment one brush and one colour. You can do a brilliant painting with one brush and one colour, but that requires technique. Without technique you end up with a less attractive painting. More brushes, and more colours and the chances of a nice results without too much technique get better?

I avoid to criticize anyone trying to make any kind of art because it may be misunderstood by the person and cause him/her to feel frustrated enough to give about to express yourself. So I will try to keep low profile here.

Like others the very first thing in your clip is the lack of a backing track - it's very hard to form an opinion about a vocalization without instruments playing together. To sing acapela is not something that we (not real singers) should try unless for fun in the shower because it demands a LOT of voice control. You just achieve this control if you study and practice for years or if you was born with the natural gift to this (what is rare).

Now, about your performance... Seems to me that you are more yelling and growling than really singing. There is a lot of parts without a real note. Because that the clip sounds annoying and weird instead musical. We all know several singers that use such resources (yell and growl) along their tracks for expression purposes, like Janis Joplin and jazz singers. But they have trained voices and KNOW what they're doing, applying such features in the right spots of the song without to attack the ears of their audience. Personally I don't like this kind of performance even when it is made by someone that master it (it irritates me) and avoid to hear such performers. But that's a style and there is plenty of people that enjoy it.

Anyway, I think that before to try to do such thing you should first to learn how to sing correctly (right pitch, key and rhythm). Then you will have to learn about your own voice to know what it is capable of. Otherwise it is like a novice guitar player trying to shred when he barely knows how to hold the basic chords.

However, be aware that this is a long way and it may take years to achieve the proper mastering. If you are willing to do it seriously you should consider to take singing classes. I bet that if you show the same clip performance to a singing teacher the very first thing he/she will tell you is to STOP doing that weird stuff because a) it is not working; b) it may harm your vocal chords. By the other hand, if you are doing it just for fun it doesn't really mind other people opinion... just do it in home, karaoke, friends party and be happy!

:thumbs up:

I will have to agree with the others here I think. I am much like you, in that I am scared of singing around people and didn't know if I could sing. When I posted I wanted the truth, I didn't want people to just be nice to me. After listening to both tracks you posted, I would say that you can not sing. To me it never sounds like you are hitting any good notes. Your diction is bad, the yelling/emotion thing. You are trying to do all the advanced stuff without being able to do the basics and it doesn't work.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying you can't LEARN to sing, that will just take work to find out but I will say that if you can't listen back to those recordings and figure out that you're not in key then I'm not certain if you can learn. I wish you the best in trying though, and honestly just because I don't like it don't stop if you enjoy it.

Back