Classical Music recommendations

andyhix

:dank:
OK, running with some ideas from the "earth shaking idea" thread, from a songwriting perspective (and just enjoyable listening, too, I suppose), give me some classical tunes, composers, actual CD names, etc. I'm a dunce about classical stuff, and a lot of it bores me quite a bit, honestly. Occasionally, tho, I'll here something totally moving...

From that other thread, I saw recommendations for Lute Suite #4 (bach, right?) performed by Segovia or John Williams, and Rite of Spring (Stravinstky).

Lets hear some others, that an open minded child of the hair-metal/grunge/indie era might appreciate and learn from.

My favorite is the Sountrack from Amadeus. It had a quite a variation of Mozarts work from dark to happy Turkish dancing stuff.

SoMm

Bach's Brandenburg concertos. Should be able to find it at your local liblrary.

Wow... saying "recommend me some classical music" is like saying "recommend me some pop music". There are lots of different types of classical music and it really depends on what you like. "Classical music" is really divided into several different "eras" or periods:

Rennesance(sp?) Period (Gregorian chant)
Baroque Period (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Pacchabel)
Classical Period (Mozart, Beethoven)
Romantic Period (Tchiakovsky, Chopin, Brahms)
Modern Period (Debussy, Copeland)

I'm just throwing these out off the top of my head....I'm sure a google search would get you a better breakdown of eras/composers. The least you need to know is that each era is defined by a particular and unique style. Here's a quick breakdown:

Renasance(sp?) Period (single line melodies, generally without harmony until later)
Baroque Period (Harmony is explored more fully, pieces are very "mathmatical", without emotion, and very ornamented with lots of trills and such)
Classical Period (Music begins to become more artful and crafted in a more emotional way, yet still very musically "correct")
Romantic Period (Art supplants musical "correctness" in importance and all harmonic options, even dissonance, are on the table for maximum emotional impact)
Modern Period (all bets are off... do whatever you want. There has been sort of a return to the Classical style, and also a movement towards "Nationalism", e.g. Copeland's pieces sound very American old west)

For listening suggestions, I'd second Bach's Brandenberg Concertos. The Amedaus soundtrack (mostly Mozart) is another great one. There are lots of "Best of" CD's out there that can be a good place to introduce yourself to classical music. Generally you can't go wrong with: Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven. They are the big three. Buy yourself a "best of" disc from every composer I named above and you will have a darn good start.

Two things will probably surprise you: 1) how much classical music you already know and will recognize, and 2) how cheaply you can buy classical CD's.

Good luck,
A

Last edited:
Second all the excellent advice above. One piece you will know but which bears careful listening is the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. What is particularly interesting is how he takes a simple melodic theme and extracts every last inch from it - introducing bits of it, teasing the listener with parts, making very recognisable counterpoints, using different parts of the orchestra to repeat it, all without it ever being in the slightest bit tedious. Some very interesting lessons there.

Thanks, especially to Aaron for your breakdown of periods - just knowing that much more can help me distinguish one from another a bit. Keep em coming. I'm writing this stuff down and heading to the used CD place after work today.

Rachmaninoff is good, typically minor key stuff. Shevanna Jackamanoff is more bedtime music. :o :o Dave

up-fiddler said:
Rachmaninoff is good, typically minor key stuff. Shevanna Jackamanoff is more bedtime music. :o :o Dave
It took me a couple reads, but I got it! :eek:

You're silly! :D

Oh, and I second the Amadeus soundtrack. I wore it out as a cassette... Still listen to the CD when I get restless...

up-fiddler said:

Once, when we had a substitute teacher when I was in high school, a classmate convinced the sub that he just transfered into the class (which is why he wasn't on the class list) and his name was Peter Gozinya. She never caught on...and called on young "peter" several times that day.

keeping with the classical sort of theme. i have just been reading a book written by sheila davis who explained that research had been done which proves that when lyric writing, 20% more subject matter can be covered when largo (slow) movements of baroque are played in the background. i haven't tested this theory yet but maybe its worth a go. also has anybody elses musical radar latched on to the works of the composer Arvo Part yet? amazing stuff.

I love Debussy. La Mer is probably his best symphonic work (in my opinion), and the Suite Bergamesque is best for solo piano. The only famous, official impressionistic composer. I won't talk about it. It's better to just listen, I think.

Plus, I love the whole-tone scale.

Hi Andy,

For a non-classical listener, a disc you might really get caught up in is Prokofief's score for the film "Alexander Nevsky." Great sweeping, dramatic stuff. I have the old LP of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner, and, if re-issued on CD, it might be reasonably priced.

Best,

C

joemintz said:
I love Debussy. La Mer is probably his best symphonic work (in my opinion), and the Suite Bergamesque is best for solo piano. The only famous, official impressionistic composer. I won't talk about it. It's better to just listen, I think.

Plus, I love the whole-tone scale.

Oh what the heck.... I'll talk about it! :) Probably his most well-known piece for a beginner would be Deaux Arabesque.

My personal fav's is Doctor Gradus Ad Parnussum from The Children's Corner.

Debussy is almost jazz to my ear.... it's like classical jazz.

And pardon all my crappy French spelling....

A

Thanks everyone. Great tips, and seemingly varied, too! I did buy a CD w/ rite of spring last week, and I DID enjoy it. I'll have to get back for a few more of these soon. I tend to write slightly psychedelic experimental stuff, so I think the chord progressions, melodies, etc., from a lot of this stuff can help my creativity significantly. Probably could help anyone actually, but I guess I'm not as concerned with the "pop formula" as others might be.

Personally, I like chamber music and solo instruments better than symphohic music. I guess it's the intimacy of the sound and personal nature of the performance.

For something sweet sounding: Christopher Parkening's CD, Parkening Plays Bach (classical guitar). For something that's beautiful on the surface and as deep as you want to go intellectually: Gustav Leonhardt (harpsichord) playing Bach's The Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1. Guess you can tell I like Bach. For something that's harder listening but beautiful, Darius Milhaud (composer): La Cheminée du Roi René for wind quintet or his Saudades do Brazil for solo piano.

Just my 2c,
Tim

You should check these out:

Respighi
The fountains of Rome - very powerful stuff this one.

Ravel
Daphnis et Chloe.

Prokofiev
Scythian Suite "Ala and Lolly" - one of my absolute favourites!.
Romeo and Juliet.

Stravinsky
The Rite of Spring.
Firebird suite.

Wagner
Tristan und Isolde (not the vocal version!).

Tchaikovsky
Romeo and Juliet.

Gorecki
Symphony no3 / Lento E Largo - Tranquillissimo.
Totus Tuus - absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
Best Of.......

A very good place to shop for "best of" CD's is WalMart (!) Although the orchestras and recordings may be unknown , the performances are OK and they usually go for about $7. Also, you might checkout your local College FM station if you live near a city of any size. They often play a broad selection of "Greatest Hits" from "serious composers" ( as if we are not!!) from any and all eras. Plus , it's free!!.

write on...
chazba

we've been studying Schuberts lieder in school at the moment, and its quite interesting.

Haydns the master of the string quartet ... try "the Fifths".

hehehe... its all fun though. generally the crap stuff has slowly been gotten rid of, and no one plays it anymore :p

Andy

Back