can i sing

This section of the forum is a train wreck, man.

How many "can i sing" threads do we need? This is a joke.

On top of that, look at 3 of the thread titles. They're all typed the exact same way: "can i sing". It's bad enough without the same person posting under different names.

I vote to close this useless section down.

And of course my standard reply to the question is : anyone can sing, it's just a matter of how many will want to listen.
You're on a recording forum. Questions about singing and vocals should be about technique of singing or recording singing/vocals.
NOT about please like my facebook or subscribe to my band page. NOT about boost my plays.

Now, I'm usually the guy who listens and gives some critical feedback and maybe some techniques to try to help you where you're lacking.
But considering "enjoy and subscribe" I'm just completely turned off...sorry.

This section of the forum is a train wreck, man.

How many "can i sing" threads do we need? This is a joke.

On top of that, look at 3 of the thread titles. They're all typed the exact same way: "can i sing". It's bad enough without the same person posting under different names.

I vote to close this useless section down.

+1000 BINGO Badda Bing I'm with RAMI on this for sure.

I hate the question. I usually ignore, but since it was brought up.

I thought the thread was more for singing and vocal tips and such. If that is the case, maybe rename it to Singing and Vocal Tips and Tricks. Give it some focus. Just a thought.

My thoughts if this section is getting more new members that means more people are into singing and vocals than mixing and recording. And there is a demand to it. I don't think this is a necessarily a bad thing. And seriously, what else can they ask in a vocal/singing forum?

The question they are asking is similar to 'how is my new mix'. So I don't mind these threads. And I know there are a few people who likes to spam it. But that comes with any forum.

One suggestion I would have is: Have a 'read this before you post in this sub forum'. And in there write about what the forum is specifically for like DM60 wrote, how should they ask a question, how they shouldn't ask a question. Also, didn't we have a policy of they had to have 10 posts before they could post a link? That will make sure they have to do some work if they want to post here which will eliminate some of the spammers.

My thoughts if this section is getting more new members that means more people are into singing and vocals than mixing and recording. And there is a demand to it. I don't think this is a necessarily a bad thing. And seriously, what else can they ask in a vocal/singing forum?
But I don't see anyone in the drum forum recording themselves doing a drum solo and asking "Can I drum?". People in that forum ask about equipment and RECORDING techniques because this is a RECORDING website.
I don't see anyone in the Guitar and Bass section recording themselves doing a solo and asking "Can I play guitar?". People in that forum ask about equipment and RECORDING techniques because this is a RECORDING website.

Your comparison to "How is my mix?" isn't valid to me, because this is a RECORDING website. Mixing is all about recording. "Singing" into a shitty iPhone in a whisper because you don't want the other people in the library to hear you has NOTHING to do with recording.

That got disappeared. I'd like it back.

Maybe 5 posts before link is better? IDK.

The issue is that members with legitimate need to ask questions with a link that are subject to this are pushed away. Hence the whole 'get your ten posts here' thread.

Rewording of the Vocal forum usage may be a better choice IMO.

We don't get many other one off unrelated posts in other forums. Or at least members do not see them because we delete that crap quickly.

Yeah these threads are all the same but it's like this on a bunch of music boards.
And they are all from the same people, posting crappy recordings and pitchy vocals looking for encouragement.
Or from people looking for hits on their YT. Remember that Asian girl with the NT1?

But I don't see anyone in the drum forum recording themselves doing a drum solo and asking "Can I drum?". People in that forum ask about equipment and RECORDING techniques because this is a RECORDING website.
I don't see anyone in the Guitar and Bass section recording themselves doing a solo and asking "Can I play guitar?". People in that forum ask about equipment and RECORDING techniques because this is a RECORDING website.

Your comparison to "How is my mix?" isn't valid to me, because this is a RECORDING website. Mixing is all about recording. "Singing" into a shitty iPhone in a whisper because you don't want the other people in the library to hear you has NOTHING to do with recording.

That's a goods point.. But this what the vocal forum sub-heading says" Singers unite! Singing techniques, itchy throats, and do you need vocal lessons? Stuck with the vocal tracks? Share your problems and solutions..."

The vocal lessons line gives me the impression that people can post songs and ask about their vocals. If that forum is only for recording vocal techniques, I think we should make it clear in the forum sub-heading and inside the forum. Also, if people posts "can I sing" stuff, delete the threads so others don't see it and think it's ok. My 2 cents.

That's a goods point.. But this what the vocal forum sub-heading says" Singers unite! Singing techniques, itchy throats, and do you need vocal lessons? Stuck with the vocal tracks? Share your problems and solutions..."

The vocal lessons line gives me the impression that people can post songs and ask about their vocals. If that forum is only for recording vocal techniques, I think we should make it clear in the forum sub-heading and inside the forum. Also, if people posts "can I sing" stuff, delete the threads so others don't see it and think it's ok. My 2 cents.
You also have a point. I just find it weird that this is the only forum where we seem to be attracting a bunch of 12 year olds that want are looking for a pat on the back.

Yeah, I forgot that was there, originally, it wasn't. The idea of the forum was to discuss breathing technique, pitch control, mic technique, mic and preamp selection, etc. The mechanics of singing and recording a singer, not so much about the performance.

Like I said, we're discussing what to do about it. True and I pushed for this forum in our early days of being mods, it didn't get the type of discussions I expected and the "can I sing" threads are so annoying.

The problem is no one who posts has ever had a lesson or knows any of the technical stuff. And it's next to impossible to give specific advice to anyone without being a teacher in the same room with them. The standard "pitchy", no wind, nice try is all you can say.

Can't we have a "Can I sing?" thread in this forum.

Personal opinion but I wouldn't encourage it.
It's may as well be spam in my view.

Plenty of people can record decent tracks then ask for advice or tips on their vocals in the clinic but anyone can mumble into an iPhone and post a generic 'can I sing' thread.
Most of them are looking for a hug.

I'm in favour of adding " 'Can I sing?' threads will be removed" into the description then just deleting them on sight.

Back