can ANYONE learn to sing?

your voice and all its components are muscles just like any other... just gotta work them out to get your voice to be stronger.

the right coach can make all the difference. don't buy a CD or something... find a legit vocal coach. I could always sing a little bit, but over the last few years through coaching my range is much stronger and my tone much more pure.

not everyone can be an opera star. but everyone can improve their voice dramatically.

Yes, anyone can learn how to sing. When I first tried out for my band as a singer, I had literally no real experience. I could sing along with my favorite songs, and I figured it would be easy to do. Well, its not. I have recordings of my first tryout- I was tone-deaf, despite having a well trained ear, the tonality of my voice was horrendous, it was like an dying elephant with a cold. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a great singer now, or even a good one. But, I found my niche, and found MY voice. After trying to emulate my favorite singers for years, I realized that I'll never be able to be Phil Anselmo, or Maynard J. Keenan, or Neil Fallon (Most underrated singer/lyricist ever), and the quicker you realize that you're stuck with YOUR voice, the sooner you can improve your tonality and find what works for you. Not everyone is meant to be the frontman, and quality backup singing is hard to come by. I have a friend who likes to sing, but he sounds terrible by himself, even he admits it. But, when we do some harmonization together, his super nasally voice coupled with my throaty, scratchy voice actually sounds quite nice.

Look at Les Claypool from Primus. Hes got an ultra-nasally, sort of annoying voice. I bet when he started to sing at first he sounded ridiculous, but, he developed his voice to work for HIS sound. Now he's known not just for his bass chops, but also as one of the most 'original' voices of modern rock.

So basically, if you want to sing, there are lots of ways to get better (as you have read in this thread) but the most important thing is to find where YOUR voice will work.

Also, one last thing. You can take lessons, do vocal exercises, practice, drink tea before a show, yadda yadda....

But the best teacher is EXPERIENCE.

Even if you think you suck, even if everyone who just saw you think you suck, most people will be encouraging and tell you how good you sound. If they're actually honest (a rare trait) they'll tell you where you need improvement. So, you'll get a boost of confidence (Which is sooooo important for performers) and if you're lucky, you'll get a truthful critique and you can take it or leave it.

Then again, maybe you just need to get surgery on your vocal chords.:laughings:

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Yes anyone can learn how to sing. Just like any other skill, singing can be learned by means of practicing. Sure some start out better than others, but that shouldnt hold you back.

I've grown to be a really good singer throughout the past year and its all due to my practicing. I used to be an awful singer but now I can actually hit notes. Practice makes perfect.

I created a blog post explaining the basics of singing if you're interested!

Anyways, Thats my two cents. If you want to learn a skill, go out there and learn it. Simple as that. Once you understand this concept, the world is yours :)

Giving your advice may help others, but the original post was 4 years ago by someone who never posted again...ever.

I would say yes to the original question. Not everyone has a good range, not everyone has the confidence to just let it come out, but everyone can learn to sing on some level. It's just another instrument, and like with guitars, some people start out on a laminated piece of crap from the local charity shop, some people start out on a custom Taylor, but both can produce music notes.

Edit: Damn zombie threads!

I see no problem with reviving a relevant post (and frankly it's a refreshing change from the 18 billion "rate my voice" threads)...

Being a good singer and having a good voice are not necessarily the same thing.

For example, I'm a fairly decent singer, but my voice ain't nothin' to write home about. But I can blend fairly well, so I have sung a lot of backup in the bands I've played in.

But I leave the lead singing to those who, while perhaps not as skilled as I am, are more gifted than I am...
Well put.

Now, for hitting notes, here's something I got him to try, and it worked (to a point, I am no singing tutor, there was only so far I could help him): Listen to something that makes the same note for a long time, either stand at a keyboard and choose a long-sustaining sound, hit one key and keep it there. Start humming anywhere you like in terms of notes. Then slowly bend your note up or down until you hear it "match" the note you are playing. You can even do it when someone is vacuum cleaning in your house! A lot of appliances have a constant note. This is one way to practice hitting notes perfectly, in time when you hear a note, you'll be able to hit it bang-on first time.
Some interesting ideas (and good because they're so easy to do whenever you have a little free time...ie doesn't have to be this big long "practice session").

Now on to the sound of your voice. This is more about what you are happy with. You can try to listen to other artists and try to emulate their voice.
IMO that is almost always not a good idea as it will SOUND like you're trying to sing like someone else. I think it's better to try and "be you" and just improve on that.

no....
but if you're born with a good voice, you can get better by taking lessons and practicing.
Also ask yourself: can anyone play guitar, piano, drums, a triangle, fry an egg without burning the edges.....?
Sorry wrong (well I'm not sure about the eggs :) ).

Anyone can learn to sing...that is, to improve on what they have. But (and maybe this is what you're saying?) there's the old saying about "you can't polish a turd" ie if one doesn't have a good voice, all the training and practice in the world wont' make it great; you can only get so much out of it.

It isn't that hard to get better in singer actually, try this, this might help, Superior Singing Doodle Video ? Clickbank ? Superior Singing Method
All the best in learning, Good Luck~ :D
Gee I wish you'd post your advertising spam a few more times, three just wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

Two things, while we're being relevant: 1) No, not everyone can learn to sing. There are a few rare exceptions in the world that are either completely tone deaf (or actually deaf), deformed voice box that makes it literally impossible to sing, and people who are dumb (voice, not brain). Other than that,
2) Yes anyone can sing, it's just a matter of how many want to HEAR them sing...and this is very subjective. Lots of people used to love to hear high pitched male hair metal (Geoff Tate, Alvin Slaughter, Miljenko Matijevic, etc) but today most can't stand that style of vocal...Lots of people used to love to hear lounge lizard crooner style vocalists (Mel Torme, Bing Crosby, etc.) today not so much. Some people love dog bark metal, personally I can't stand that vocal style.

yes!

I've been practicing for 2 years or so now. I'm showing very little improvement. It sucks! I'm getting kinda impatient. But one thing I wanna know iis. Will my voice change? I mean. My voice sounds horriblible. It seems like even if I could hit any note I wanted and be pitch perfect. The sound of my voice is just horrible. Will it get better? Or a, I just a damn unlucky bastard blessed with a shitty voice? Any. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks -spaaaannnceee!

Anyone can learn to sing better. On key and at the right pitch. There are a lot of exercises to help strengthen your voice, which really helps. Check out this site for a free book to help you towards your goals! How to Dramatically Increase Your Vocal Range: Become a Vocal Athlete! | begin2sing.com

Back