Shure SM57 to iPhone

220volt

I have Shure SM57 and want to be able to mic my amp and record it on my iPhone/iPad. Anyone has any recommendation on the connector? I know there's iRig and Griffin MicConnect, but both have mixed reviews. Anything else out there with decent quality? I need something with preamp (phantom power) I assume since Shure 57 is not powered.

Thanks in advance

A little correction:

You do not need phantom power for the SM57 because it is not a condenser mic. It is a dynamic mic, which does not use phantom power.

At any rate, the most practical option would seem to be the iRig Pre at about $40. Want better, spend way more. But if you're spending way more, perhaps the iPad or the iPhone is not the best capture device.

I'm using a Tascam im2 stereo mic/ pre which is available used on ebay for about $20. It plugs directly into the 30 pin connector, or the lightning connector on the apple device (make sure you get the right version of the im2). It works, is adequate for the task, and allows my iPad to be used quickly and unobtrusively for live capture. Nobody will ever confuse this with an Apogee setup, but it is functional and inexpensive.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, my bad, what I mean is that I need a preamp to boost SM57 not phantom power.
I actually have Apogee MIC96k and I love it for my acoustic guitars, vocals etc... But it doesn't record heavy distorted guitar well. I've tried moving it to different position, less gain etc.. Standard stuff, but still comes out too fuzzy and not even close what I hear, which sounds incredible. Maybe because it is too sensitive? So that is why I thought that maybe SM57 will record heavy guitars better since it is pretty much industry standard.
I might just get Shure X2U and get the Shure SM57 signal onto PC. Maybe mic the cabinet with Apogee 96K from far away, and Shure close to it, and then blend both in DAW.

Not sure why you would need to boost the signal?

A simple xlr to mini adapter connects you and should provide plenty of signal...

Ebays got a ton of offerings..
s-l1600.jpg

I always needed a preamp to raise the levels to usable with SM57 through my PC before. Are you saying that iPhone has enough gain for acceptable levels? I mean I can get one and try it out.

I have one of these (that is the headphone 3.mm mini jack) and just tried it out and it doesn't work. iPhone doesn't recognize it as external mic. Still uses its own external mic.
Is XLR to mini jack that I need different than standard 3.5 mm?
xlr adapter.jpeg

The picture I posted was from ebay and said it was a microphone adapter for iPhone...maybe the jack is specifically wired to work with the iphone...Perhaps it was mis advertised ...being as the original iphone headphones with mic plug / jack is a 3 ring ( 4 pole) not 2 ring allowing it to work as both a headphone and microphone jack all in one

Here's a good video to watch to get hip to it

Last edited:
Maybe it's software or a setting...depending on what app you are using..

This is a cool video of software, apps and iPhone settings

OK here's the skinny on a DIY if you are so inclined...he does not mention what resistor he used...

If you're not a soldering type person you could just buy the multitude of adapters out there...just has to have the 3 ring ( 4 pole ) set up

Back