Share GarageBand song for collaboration?

enuenu

Is there any way I can start a song (project) in iOS GarageBand then send an all encompassing project file to a friend so he can open the song and edit it? The only way we can collaborate at the moment is to email the automatic render of the track in .m4a format. This is fairly useless for collaboration.

If not possible in GB for iOS, can it be done in GB for OSX?

Maybe you need Logic to do this?

Is the term "stem" relevant to this question?

Hi,
Your final mix or master will be one stereo file, whereas stems would be a number of stereo files making up the same thing.
You might give a mastering guy stems which are mixed down stereo wavs of your drums, rhythms, vocals, and extras, for example.
He wouldn't be able to manipulate each component of the kit, for example, but he can work on it as a group.

I have a guy who tracks vocals overseas. While I'll be doing the final mix, I generally send him stems to track vocals to so that he can raise/lower components of the mix to suit his headphone monitoring requirements.
It saves the hassle of sharing the whole session, but gives him enough control for his needs.

I haven't really used garageband much but I'd hope, like any daw, it would have a folder containing all the necessary parts for your session.
Being that it's apple they might even use some self contained package or library, like iPhoto libraries etc.

I can investigate and find out for sure but in the mean time have a look to see where your sessions are stored and see if what I'm describing is the case.

If so, all you have to do is save your session and quit, find the relevant folder/package, right click and compress it, then take/move/copy/send/share the compressed zip with your friend.
If you don't have a file sharing service, wetransfer is very user friendly and no sign up is required.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks. I was thinking along similar lines. However on an iPad you can't access files directly, everything is hidden and you are at the mercy of Apple's automation. If you could find out how to access a project (song) file and share it that would be great. I'm staring to think that while the files exist, users cannot access them directly. Hope I'm wrong.

Sorry, yeah..I was speaking purely from a Mac OS point of view.

From iOS it seems you can share the song, or the project.
This article seems to cover all the options but summarising the relevant part, it seems like you use the share->iTunes option, selecting project rather than song.
Once in iTunes you can sync the device to your Mac OS computer, and once it's available there you are free to drag it to desktop and share with whomever manually.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for you help. We will give the iTunes route a try. We also use Reaper. My collaborator has a PC and an iPad whereas I have an iMac and iPad.

The iPads using GarageBand are great for sketching out songs and recording ideas wherever you find yourself, and my collaborator and I both have one. I am trying to get him to buy an iMac. The integration from GareageBand to Logic would make a great system. Reaper is great too, but can't be used on an iPad.

Reading closely it seems to share a GrageBand project each collaborator must have an iPad and an iMac.

It's not really clear.
I'd share the project to your own iTunes, pull it out, and send it to your friend.

If he's not able to add it to iTunes on his windows setup then he won't be able to sync it to the ipad, unless they have some other import option to cover that.

I know, obviously, the .band sessions can't be opened on a MS system but say you've have some on your iphone and you sync that phone to iTunes on windows, will they not still be listed as being there?

Back