Opportunities for the iPad (Musically)

xb2003

I have always had the attitude that tablets were fairly pointless. They are expensive and less functional than a laptop. Recently I was given an iPad 4 and I'm definitely seeing some merit.

There seems to be a solid amount of recording stuff out there for this device. But I'm wondering what kind of stuff there is for using it live. Such as..

I have an 18i20 and I have been reading about how this interface is compatible with the iPad. But what does compatible mean? I want to mess with using these amp simulation apps that are made for iRig, or even garage band.. With my interface to run both my in from my instrument and output to the poweramp. Is this type of thing even possible with an audio interface?

And what about with midi. Is there any samplers out there that support midi through my interface?

I record audio live using a Tascam im2 plug in mic and a free app called voice record pro. Check the companion file management thread here. Works well given that the storage space may limit you to mp3/4 formats. However v.7 will record to .wav format. So the potential may be real here.

Last edited:
Auria is hands down the most solid app for recording on the ipad imho. I use an Apogee MiC and a Blue Digital Spark for recording.

I have an 18i20 and I have been reading about how this interface is compatible with the iPad. But what does compatible mean? I want to mess with using these amp simulation apps that are made for iRig, or even garage band.. With my interface to run both my in from my instrument and output to the poweramp. Is this type of thing even possible with an audio interface?

In my experience they record audio fantastically, that being said. I haven't recorded midi from a compliant keyboard yet but I think it would work great...To clarify myself "Recording Midi Information" Now you may have to use your keyboard for sounds if there's a delay, IDK. I don't image an iPad will have the ram or HD space for all the software inst. we've come to love or the processor speed....But after it was recorded you could send it to your computer.

I don't have a usb interface with an line out, so I haven't been able to try it as an effects processor running into amp. I know plugging an output from interface into a hi-z input on guitar amp won't sound stellar. The other thing that comes to mind is plugging it into effects loop?? buying a reamp box?? Damn, I'm a guitar player and I should know this.

Someone here should be able to chime in and tell how it's done.

Back