New Category in User forums by brand

TAE

All you have is now
Just an observation as an Old timer here..

I strongly encourage the powers that be to add an iPad Category to the "User Forums by brand" section.

I have recently started experimenting with the iPad as a sound module and recording device and all I can say is HOLY SHIT!

I would think that it will not only help and educate the current HR.comr's on the amazing things this new tool can do but will, via Google and attrition bring many new members to the site....

Just sayin.......

AMAZINGLY POWERFUL MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOL

ipad.jpg

If you haven't got the Audiobus app yet, you need to go ahead and get it. :guitar:

seriously. I was never a big iPad fan before but they're really changing the game in the audio world. the best part is, people still complain about a $10-$30 synth app that would cost hundreds of dollars otherwise.

Whats the best mic for an ipad for under $100?

I've dabbled with a few mics that connect directly to an iPad, but none worth mentioning that's less than $100. I was pleasantly surprised from the quality I was able to achieve using the Rode NT-USB which is a bit more at around $169, but if I were you, I would just get an iRig PRE (or something similar) instead of spending less than 100 on a USB mic, so you can just connect any of your favorite XLR mics to your iPhone/iPad through the pre. I think it's under 40 bucks. Obviously not a mind-blowing piece of high-end gear but at least you'll be able to use any mic in your arsenal while staying under budget.

Our US editor of AF, Mike Levine, wrote a 2-part article on a portable studio and is really interested in the increased integration of iOS software and hardware in the audio world. I'm sure you'll get good feedback here on HR, but if you want him to go into more depth about what he likes about the different mics he's tried, he's pretty accessible via PM.

Anyway, hope that helps, cheers.

Last edited:
I've dabbled with a few mics that connect directly to an iPad, but none worth mentioning that's less than $100. I was pleasantly surprised from the quality I was able to achieve using the Rode NT-USB which is a bit more at around $169, but if I were you, I would just get an iRig PRE (or something similar) instead of spending less than 100 on a USB mic, so you can just connect any of your favorite XLR mics to your iPhone/iPad through the pre. I think it's under 40 bucks. Obviously not a mind-blowing piece of high-end gear but at least you'll be able to use any mic in your arsenal while staying under budget.

Our US editor of AF, Mike Levine, wrote a 2-part article on a portable studio and is really interested in the increased integration of iOS software and hardware in the audio world. I'm sure you'll get good feedback here on HR, but if you want him to go into more depth about what he likes about the different mics he's tried, he's pretty accessible via PM.

Anyway, hope that helps, cheers.

I guess I should let you in on the joke but it's been running so long here I don't think I am allowed to...:o

Now.... is the Ipad any good for Rap music..?

;)

I guess I should let you in on the joke but it's been running so long here I don't think I am allowed to...:o

Now.... is the Ipad any good for Rap music..?

;)

I kinda figured lol, mutt with a question about usb mics for under 100 sounded very out-of-character, even to me.

Don't update me, I don't deserve it. Let me wallow away in the shame of exclusion before I cower back to the forums, tail between legs, sure to think before I post :facepalm:

But having said that, some of the stuff that iPads are becoming capable of doing from a music production standpoint are actually becoming pretty fucking awesome :D

But having said that, some of the stuff that iPads are becoming capable of doing from a music production standpoint are actually becoming pretty fucking awesome :D

Truly awesome stuff on the cheap.... I sold my Nord 2 and with the proceeds picked up a used ipad 2, ordered the Behringer is202 and a Novation impulse 61 keyboard...still have $400 left from the proceeds to buy apps...I bought the Galileo Hammond app and Jordan Rudess Jordantron and will be buying the Morphwiz...Well that's $30 well spent...$9.99 an app incredible!

Hope they start a section for ipad it would be beneficial to both the BBS and the members...This little magic box ain't going away.

Regarding the original question, we need to see if there is enough interest here. Maybe a more general 'mobile' production forum encompassing iOS, and android platforms and also low tech means (cheap tape recorder etc.).

Regarding the original question, we need to see if there is enough interest here. Maybe a more general 'mobile' production forum encompassing iOS, and android platforms and also low tech means (cheap tape recorder etc.).

I doubt it is needed.

There are far too many superfluous boards here these days already without more. Same goes for stickies.

Actually Chater-la two more sections covering windows and mac based audio tools would be prudent......additionally, though still somewhat relevant... a little housecleaning in this section might be in order. Roland, Sony, Tascam, Akai, Alesis, and Fostex are very much yesterdays news in relation to the APP arena yet they all get their little space in this section.

As the owner of the site,though I am sure you have altruistic meanings and purposes...the bottom line is the bottom line. If you would like this BBS to grow, ( A LOT) I think it would be prudent for you to jump on the iPad band wagon and give it it's appropriate place in cyberspace on your BBS. Those here who have not yet embraced it's power will either be left in the dust or embrace it.. This new vehicle is a serious leap forward in musical instrument and audio technology.

User.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the right forum is mobile recording. Little more broad, but I can see the more powerful machines, Surface Tablets, some of the lower end iOS computers and the tablets (especially as a controller) start to take shape. This would include Portastudios. I say this as (I have posted too many times now), with today's technology, mobility is the new freedom. I purchased a cheap laptop, Tascam and now able to go out and do more recording in the wild.

So maybe "Mobile Recording" is the right topic in a more general term.

Informed opinion?

Yes. I use an Android tablet as an interface quite often both in the workshop, the home and at gigs for various tasks. I have never had to research a method or question. They are pretty much straight forward and all questions regarding the use of them can be had easily from info that is already here.

I wouldn't use an iPad to prop up a wonky table leg but thats cos iPads and all things apple are a triumph of form over function and insist that I can only do it their way. I don't like that as either a method or marketing model. If you are truly interested in the future of music on the tablet. Open source is were it is at and where it will end up.

We do not need a tablet sub board. There are too many boards here already Count them.... 44 of em...

You are right about consolidating other boards or retiring them though.

Back