my new setup

kcearl

I see deaf people
new bairn on the way making my studio off limits for quite a while as its all hands on deck at the mo

so set these up...the tablets not recording just now, only using as a sequencer, and the launchpad is running launchpad 95 scripts which turns it into a step and melodic sequencer...brilliant fun

everything runs on batteries, so no plugging in. Ive ordered another audio interface so I can record some of my noodlings

Attachments

• IMG_20150216_170718_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20150216_170718_rewind.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 216
new bairn on the way making my studio off limits for quite a while as its all hands on deck at the mo

so set these up...the tablets not recording just now, only using as a sequencer, and the launchpad is running launchpad 95 scripts which turns it into a step and melodic sequencer...brilliant fun

everything runs on batteries, so no plugging in. Ive ordered another audio interface so I can record some of my noodlings

Dude, have you been rummaging through my garbage again? :mad:

Seriously, I have no idea what I'm looking at. I recognize the black and white piano keys. Looks like it'll keep ya busy for a while. :)

Lol

Its the four korg volcas...analogue synth, bass, and drums, with a digital sampler...im rocking out for an hour every night before I can stay awake no more! ;)

KC You mentioned you ordered a new audio interface....assuming for the tablet so you can do the recordings sort of "Unplugged" Is that right? If so what did you order?

that's a nice retro-rig!
I'm liking it.

What do you think of that Zoom G3?
I have a good number of gigs where I don't use an amp .......... currently I'm using a Vox Stomplab which is adequate.
But I'd like a step up and the G3 is one I'm considering.
In general I don't care much about the fxs ..... they'll be good enough. The biggest thing to me is getting a good 'amp' sound direct into the PA.
Clean is usually easy to get but a realistic non-fizzy dirt or crunch are harder.
Anyway ............... thoughts?

Very good...i dont use software now, either my real amps or the G3

Theres a few comparision videos on youtube and while the emulations might not be 100% they are great sounding regardless

I think the crunchier amps sound great, but the distortion, overdrive, fx are no better than others...cant beat a decent pedal

You always have some fine tunes in the clinic so I'm assuming the new rig is just going to be a different way of achieving similar stellar results.
But batteries??? I hate 'em - are they rechargeable? What is a bairn???

Lol, cheers man...this is all analog boxes, toys more than anything...but my studio is in the basement and my wife is about to pop out our second child (bairn) so I have to have little mobile toys to stop me going insane...I may even have to cut down on the IPA too!!

Is that a Windows Surface you are running? I bought my wife one about a year back and really find it a nice little laptop/tablet, but I understand the RT version of the OS doesn't run that much, but the pro version is a full on laptop.

Its a dell venue pro 11...i picked it up for $300 and it runs full win 8. Itll cope with small projects but isnt on par with ipad build quality or touchscreen capability. Intel Baytrail quadcore, outperforms most in its price bracket.

---------- Update ----------

Cut down on IPA??? SAY IT AIN'T SO.

Im not having a third if this is going to be a rule! IPA > bairns!!

Its a dell venue pro 11...i picked it up for $300 and it runs full win 8. Itll cope with small projects but isnt on par with ipad build quality or touchscreen capability. Intel Baytrail quadcore, outperforms most in its price bracket.
Can you pick up an iPad for $300?

for anyone interested this is the volcas recorded into the tablet...I had a few problems with the recorded tracks dropping out in Ableton, dunno if its a problem with disc speed or something.

Anyway i mixed it in there too, 12 audio tracks, bit of compression and EQ and some sends with reverb and delay...worked pretty well. Though I had to bring the volume up in a separate project. Used an Akai EIE as the audio interface...only 16bit but these volcas are pretty rough anyway

for anyone interested this is the volcas recorded into the tablet...I had a few problems with the recorded tracks dropping out in Ableton, dunno if its a problem with disc speed or something.

I am not sure, but I have a feeling the way Ableton does disk management could be some of the issue.

Yeah, it could be...moving the root file and opening the project from my desktop solved the drop out issues...weird

Used an Akai EIE as the audio interface...only 16bit

Is the Akai the "new" interface you mentioned above that you ordered or is it the "old" interface you are replacing... Dot? pretty spacy stuff there KC..... Boy would you have fun with my Old roland Sh3 synth and my new but old school Plugiator...I can get lost for days with that stuff....

yeah I just bought it...I just wanted a simple 4 line interface, but this one also has a USB bus built in and great VU's

you had a Sh3? great little synth, Im not really into vintage but some of the rolands would be more than welcome ;)

the only problem is that I think recording audio is too much for the tablet...I just dont think it has my ipads build spec. After turning on yesterday I had to get a bit logger password from my windows account to recover the drive. It was dropping out badly while I was recording more than one stream at a time. I may wipe it clean and try a new install with only ableton, nothing else, and see if it was a ram issue. Maybe use my older Live 8 version which is a little more cpu friendly.

anyway using my laptop at the mo', so no more tablet, IOS recording for the time being.

Yeah that Akai is a pretty sexy little interface...

I took my Ipad on my last China trip and had a blast on the 15 hour flight over and back messing with all the toys in it...As a recording interface for a track at a time probably cool...As a controller for various stuff very cool...as a host for vst's live..it works but it is cumbersome.. had to buy a $100 interface to run midi and power to the ipad...a lot of cords n shit to wire up each time you set up.... I just loaded my laptop with some vsti's and reaper and it looks like vsti life is going to be very cool.

The laptop powers my Novation impulse and my MOX8 has a built in soundcard for the laptops audio out..powerful new setup... going to start messing with backing tracks for live performances....

In regards to the SH3 I still have it, I'm the original owner, bought it new in 73...very rarely break it out but I plan on doing some fun stuff / recording with it this year....

Back