Ipad air will not recognize any camera connection usb kit to midi keyboard ideas?

Slegnav

All, I am new to this forum and am trying to use my ipad air as a means to record my music via 8 pin small lightning connecter to interface my usb midi keyboard to garageband.
I have bought three different camera connection kits that are just mini connecter to usb plug and ones that have usb and SD card inputs. None of these work. I get nothing or not certified hardware and might not work. I have tried all the tricks from YouTube and other threads with no luck. I am running ios 8.1.3.
I can record input from headphone jack with irig but am wanting to explore digital input via the lightning connecter. At this point I am scratching my head and can't figure out why I can't get anything to work. I don't think my ipad is broke and I am sceptical to spend lots more money on dead end connectors. I have not bought the apple version of this connector due to extreme cost compared to cheaper versions as I believe these are non active hardware (passive) and think a usb connector is a usb connector...regardless of who built them. Anyone else have this problem and fix? I searched the forum for any previous post on this topic and found none....any ideas???????

Makes no sense unless you bought and aftermarket camera kit...then maybe it's the kit...that said......Because of the absolute COOLNESS of it...nothing else is quite as powerful ( it charges your ipad too ) I strongly encourage you to check out the iconnectivity stuff
I have this but want this for the audio in and outs when they actually get it on the shelves...

Best part is both their customer service and user interface kick butt

Good Luck!

What keyboard is it? Maybe it's the keyboard, not the camera connection kit. Does the kit work with other USB connections?

The keyboard is a casio wk 7600 ..and yes I tried reading an SD card via the card slot on the one that also has the card reader. Thanks

I've been told that Casios are CoreMIDI-compliant, and I don't even see any drivers for Apple operating systems on Casio's web site, so I wouldn't think that the keyboard is the problem. You are using the USB connection, correct? And I'm confused when you say you've bought three different kits-- I thought there was just the one?

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)

I have bought three different camera connection kits (cck)thinking that the previous one was bad. Fortunately I have gotten refunds but all of them did not work eventhough I exhausted all remedies I read on YouTube, etc., and yes the usb connection -using cable from keyboard to usb plug in to ipad via cck.
Hope someone out there has had similar problem and more importantly has fix...thanks! It's a real head scratches. I still question whether I should buy the apple certified connector but can't see why their usb hardware would be any different from other generic usb interfaces as I believe these cck are passive and contain no firmware etc., that makes them unique...does anyone know am I wrong on this assumption?
Thanks!

I'm reading online that a lot of people are saying their camera connection kits stopped working after they updated their iPad Airs from iOS7 to iOS8.

Did you try closing all open programs on your iPad first, as well as rebooting it (powering it completely off for a minute or two)? Some people claim that that helped, although I'm not sure that was for the iPad Air.

Yes I tried the reboot numerous times but did not leave it off....so I will try that...and I know about the ios update and hope that someone has found a work around..thanks for all your help...will see if the wait period helps on power down

Maybe you're on a tight budget but call the dudes at iconnectivity and check with them before you buy...I'm pretty darn sure you won't regret the investment.

I'm reading online that a lot of people are saying their camera connection kits stopped working after they updated their iPad Airs from iOS7 to iOS8.

Did you try closing all open programs on your iPad first, as well as rebooting it (powering it completely off for a minute or two)? Some people claim that that helped, although I'm not sure that was for the iPad Air.

Sometimes depending on the device, direct connect with CCK requires a powered hub. I had the same problem using a Presonus 1818vxl audio interface to work directly using the usb lighting cable, once I connected to a powered hub it solved all my problems.

here is a quick video that shows you how to setup, there are more and undfortunately this is not in English but you will get the idea. End result, it will work 100%

Conectando Acessórios Musicais ao iPad com o CCK e Hub USB - YouTube

ok...sorry for the late responses to the recent threads but I do thank each of you for your input. I have unsuccessfully gotten any results from any of the suggestions (which were all good ones) to date...and just a few days ago apple released yet another update to the ios with more to follow. Seems like every release they provide loses some previous legacy issue that worked prior to them updating so i read on other blogs and forums... I still welcome any other ideas but am getting reluctant to sink any more money into this...and may resign the fact that my ipad has a problem but that does not seem to be the apparent case yet as i am not getting any errors...I will let you know if I come up with a solution....thanks again for all the inputs....still scratching my head...LOL

Slegnav

In my first response to you I put 2 hyperlinks to Iconnectivity... I have not heard of anyone not being able to connect their ipads via this hardware to a usb midi keyboard...you can call the company and confirm...Here is the link to Sweetwater for the least expensive fast solution..they have a money back guarantee so you have nothing to lose.
iConnectivity iConnectMIDI2+ - Lightning Edition | Sweetwater.com I have the older version with the 32 pin connector works flawlessly once you get it configured...their software interface is very cool with extensive routing options.

The iOS 8 upgrade is what breaks things. My iPad mini retina came with iOS 7.1, my Casio CTK 601 and UNO adapter work fine with the CCK. LogicRemote also works fine, even though iTunes says it needs iOS 8.

I know Apple put special chips in their USB adapters so it could still be a compatibility issue. Like you said, there's no reason technically a third-party adapter shouldn't work. But Apple like to force you to buy from them. USB adapters in particular will break between iOS versions and the $10 adapter off eBay that used to work fine will just stop working without warning because it doesn't have Apple's signature hardware.

Apple also likes pimping Apogee and IK Multimedia hardware. I did buy an iRig Pre, but that was more because RS had them on sale for $27.00 at Xmas. It works OK, but I guess not fancy enough, it seems they've discontinued it.

Back