I want to record using a tablet. Advice?!

rbnalv7

I want to know if using a tablet to record on the go (acoustic guitar and vocals) is a good idea. Also want to expirt audio files to my pc for pro tools. Any suggestions on hiw to go about this. Budget wise u dont know. Cheap but still reliable

Relatively new here, and little experience with home recording, but you can record to a tablet. not sure how the results would compare with something more sophisticated. Depends on the tablet, I guess. Need a USB microphone, and an inline adaptor for the guitar. I've no experience with the last. I've used a Yeti USB mic. i suppose you could also use the mic to record from the guitar or it's amp. My iPad comes with Garageband, which works. Fir the iPad, you'd also need a powered USB connector to power the mic; the iPad USB won't do so. Hopefully someone with more experience jumps in.

you can get decent recording with an ipad just using the built in mic. If you take time and position the ipad correctly with the mic end facing you. There are also usb adaptors/camera kit that allows you to use pretty much any usb mic, but as the other guy mentioned you need to use a powered USB hub, as the ipad cannot supply enough power. There are a couple of mics that can be powered directly from the ipad..google search "ipad microphones". Also these days theres plenty of dedicated devices that allow you to place you ipad into the device and then you have preamps and jacks that will let you plug in your guitar and mics. Pretty any software you use on an ipad has the ability to output in aif, wave, ogg or mp3.

Just got my Steinberg UR22 Mk2 Audio interface yesterday and am really impressed with it. Works straight out of the box with my iPad and iPhone (luckily had a spare mini USB cable laying about to provide the necessary power). Has mic and plug inputs, balanced line outs, headphone out with separate volume control. To do any serious recording on a tablet you will need something like this. Just make sure whatever you get is compatible with your tablet.
I'm having a lot of fun with it- not just for recording but also for live performance. The Harmony Voice app from the App Store works great for adding to vocal input effects.
John

I wish I could record easily on my tablet. I use other equipment, incuding outboard recording, but I dont have whast I need for recording on tablet

Now that the inteface has changed (thanks Apple) some mics and interfaces for the old connection are cheap. I got the Tascam mic (same as is built in to their recorder) for $20 on eBay.

I have been thinking about the UR22mkII. Why did you choose that above the Focusrite Scarlett etc? Is that still performing nicely? I'm intending using with laptop/existing Cubase but like the potential for midi and i-pad use etc in the future. Cheers

I had a lot of fun with a friends Focusrite Itrack dock.(not affiliated )
In conjunction with my pad and GarageBand.
I Found the qaulity decent. The workflow easy.
The midi was a bit of a pain in the proverbial for an old man with fingers like sausages.
I used my ribbon mic too with an outboard preamp (Alice mic pre).
I enjoyed the experience which for me is a big bonus.
I hope you find the right thing for you.
Rich

Sorry - its been a while since I read this post. I chose the Steinberg UR22 MkII mainly because of iOS connectivity and the Steinberg name (inventors of VSTs and ASIO drivers for a start).
With the firmware update, the interface works very well. I have 2 Channel In, 4 out (includes headphones and line out). Simple usable mixing of inputs, phones and outputs (the iConnectivity interface looks just too complicated). The Focusrite is probably just as good.

You can record with your tablet. But I suggest you to try with iPad. iPad provide better sound quality than any Android Tablet.

Back