I want to record MIDI on iPad and export to Ableton

angelodias

I'm really into Ableton Live. But I can't take Ableton with me to work.
I want an app for iPad Retina so I can fiddle with loops and ideas during my free hours at work and later, at home, export these midi loops to Ableton.
I don't really need audio recording, only multitrack midi recording. Even the instruments do not need to be too fancy, as I'm exporting the midi tracks to Ableton later.
Did I make myself clear? I hope so.
Any help?

Thanks!

I can't really say what a good app would be, but if and when you get one, make sure you can export the MIDI file from the app to your target computer. After that is would be as simple importing or copy paste into an Ableton MIDI track, add the correct VSTi and you are set.

Your biggest challenge is getting the file from your iPad to your computer, rest should be pretty straight forward.

I can't really say what a good app would be, but if and when you get one, make sure you can export the MIDI file from the app to your target computer. After that is would be as simple importing or copy paste into an Ableton MIDI track, add the correct VSTi and you are set.

Your biggest challenge is getting the file from your iPad to your computer, rest should be pretty straight forward.

Hi DM, I am going out soon to buy an On The Go USB adaptor so that I can use a conventional keyboard with my Acer pad. (On the 'Zon for 95pee'ish Maplin want 12 quid but I need it NOW!)

I am hoping I can also dump files to a USB stick. Is there a Tab' "send to" function?

BTW, OP. Make sure you CAN export MIDI files from the DAW anyway. I have Sonar X1 ess' and there is no way I can see to do this! Samplitude, Cubase..No problem.

Dave.

Yeah, transferring the files to your computer should be a piece of cake-- you could attach them to an email and email them to yourself, or save them to Dropbox, etc.

Dave, I suggest getting ESFile Explorer. Then it is just matter of connecting to your network and copying them from on computer (tablet) to another. One item to note for ease of use, make sure your tablet is connected to your wireless inside your firewall/network. Otherwise it is a PTA to configure your firewall to allow access.

This is also a good time to learn about cloud storage. Technically, (I don't want to confuse), you can use Google Drive on your tablet, and then install it on your desktop and transfer files that way. It is probably the easiest way to transfer files. If you're not familiar, think of the Google Drive (or any cloud storage schema) as a virtual drive/mount that will behave the same as if it were on your computer. Once the right application is installed on your desktop and tablet, it shows up on Windows File Explorer as another drive.

I hope I didn't confuse or make it more complex.

I have to keep my eye on this thread because I just bought an iPad Air a couple days ago and that would be pretty dope to be able to export midis as ideas and use them later on my laptop.

First, the name to search on is sequencer, old school name, but that is the name you want to use for searching for MIDI file creation. iPad Sequencer As an example

Great advice DM60 "sequencer" looks like Genome is just what the doctor ordered...and integrates with Auria as it's midi counterpart

Google Audiobox for app to app connection. Propellerhead has a full boat on apps as well. Figure is for making music Take is a basic three track audio studio for iOS, and Thor is their flagship synth in a mobile app. Also available is ReBirth which is a rap producer for iPhone/Pad that emulates TB303 Bass module and 808/909 drum modules.

Back