Gave up with ipad, but Win 8 tablet??

kcearl

I see deaf people
Ive got two ipads, jammed with everything from cubasis, auria, korg gadget, to amplitube, animoog, iSEM etc

And other than running touchable I just dont think they are anything more than gimmicks for recording imho. While on my travels I got stuck lugging a 15" laptop around as the ipads always seem to be missing something critical in every app...but I thought Id take a chance on a win 8 tablet...now this does replace the laptop...and without the docking station cost $300 with intels bayrail quad core CPU...needs a mouse/stylus/tiny fingers, but works great

So if like me the ipad didnae quite cut it, maybe one of these would

image.jpg

image.jpg

Which tablet did you get?

This is the dell venue 11 pro....not the most expensive, and not great for tablet dutys (lousy keyboard) but work fantastic for this...the hub gives you another 3 usb ports and an hdmi monitor out port (the actual tablet has one too)

I managed to get a few things started on this, and of course porting it across to my main rig is far easier than faffing about with the ipad

one other thing...although its 64gb memory the micro sd is expanded by another 128 gb...plenty for a small tablet

Is that real Ableton on a tablet?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

---------- Update ----------

Also, welcome back kc :D

I think the tablets once they get up to some power do have a place in recording. Take something like you have, add a decent interface, DAW and you are off and running to record just about anywhere.

I just purchased a portable rack system from Gator cases that hold my interfaces, added a rack mounted power-strip, slide my cheap laptop (which looks like what you have would replace the laptop easy) and I have a nice little portable rig to record at a moments notice. All I need is one outlet to plug into.

Is that real Ableton on a tablet?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

---------- Update ----------

Also, welcome back kc :D

Cheers mate...yup full ableton, unfortunately its not touchscreen friendly so you really need to use a mouse. I got sonar for $25 (holy shit) and it has touchscreen compatibility. We're talking decent sized projects too before the cpu maxes out.

I think the tablets once they get up to some power do have a place in recording. Take something like you have, add a decent interface, DAW and you are off and running to record just about anywhere.

I just purchased a portable rack system from Gator cases that hold my interfaces, added a rack mounted power-strip, slide my cheap laptop (which looks like what you have would replace the laptop easy) and I have a nice little portable rig to record at a moments notice. All I need is one outlet to plug into.

The new tablets are coming with intel i5's and 4 gigs RAM...they are laptop replacers for sure

The new tablets are coming with intel i5's and 4 gigs RAM...they are laptop replacers for sure

Next versions of Reaper and Ableton (Which are the two DAWs I use) I am sure will be touchscreen compatible. I really think it will be a nice step.

With the right chip set and SD cards that are up to 128 Gb, pretty much sets the direction of next generation recording.

Personally, at the moment I'm not interested as much in using a tablet for recording as I am in using one for controlling my keyboards.

Still, if you buy a 25-key MIDI controller, a tablet, a DAW, and a backpack, you've got a portable recording studio that you can take with you when you're traveling. Obviously, you can-- and should, in my opinion-- redo your recordings on bigger/better hardware once you get back home, but the ability to pull out your tablet and keyboard while sitting in an airport or at a bus stop helps you record your musical ideas before they evaporate. I can't count the number of times I was sitting doing something else and I started banging out a rhythm or whistling a catchy tune that I thought had some potential, but by the time I got to where I could try to record it on my desktop computer I could no longer remember it!

Next versions of Reaper and Ableton (Which are the two DAWs I use) I am sure will be touchscreen compatible. I really think it will be a nice step.

With the right chip set and SD cards that are up to 128 Gb, pretty much sets the direction of next generation recording.

Yeah the ipads touchscreen apps are lightyears from using ableton on this....but the scope is so much more on a win 8 tablet

Personally, at the moment I'm not interested as much in using a tablet for recording as I am in using one for controlling my keyboards.

Still, if you buy a 25-key MIDI controller, a tablet, a DAW, and a backpack, you've got a portable recording studio that you can take with you when you're traveling. Obviously, you can-- and should, in my opinion-- redo your recordings on bigger/better hardware once you get back home, but the ability to pull out your tablet and keyboard while sitting in an airport or at a bus stop helps you record your musical ideas before they evaporate. I can't count the number of times I was sitting doing something else and I started banging out a rhythm or whistling a catchy tune that I thought had some potential, but by the time I got to where I could try to record it on my desktop computer I could no longer remember it!

I have a small set up in case going to my rig is out of the question...both are networked so I can lift projects wirelessly...also the table slips into Maschine stand, I used to sit on my balcony and use it as a standalone...4-5 hrs battery life

I am a believer of MS moving to the 8 interface, while painful and maybe not well executed, sets them up for the touchscreen generation of computers. Think about a type of all in one with a 17" gorilla glass screen with HDMI out for the second screen. Next year or two. We call them tablets and laptop now, soon it will just be, mobile computing.

Looking at some of the current laptops coming out, like the Yoga or the ASUS TAICHI (comes with an i7 chip), just a matter of time.

I've been happy with Win8 since it was first released, and never could understand all the bitching and whining about it-- although I do use the desktop mode a lot more than Metro. I got a Win8.1 tablet not quite a year ago, partly because I wanted to use it for controlling my keyboards (although I already had an iPad2 and a Nook HD+ with an Android boot SD card), and partly because I wanted to be able to play Taptiles on a touch screen. I now use my Win tablet almost as much as my desktop computer-- certainly more than my laptop, and way more than my iPad. I've yet to find a program that lets me control my keyboards the way I want, and I want to write one of my own so I can make it do exactly what I want-- but I just downloaded a trial version of Plogue Bidule, which might do what I'm looking for; I haven't had a chance to crank it up yet to find out.

Edit: However, one thing I hate about tablets is the way I'll be typing with the touch keyboard and it keeps changing the words that I type to words it thinks I'd meant to type.

One thing I do notice about the touchscreens, if you play a real guitar, acoustic (aimed at you Greg just in case you don't make the connection :cool:), and your finger tips are hardened, you can't really feel or get a good contact with the touchscreen. Or is that just me?

Back