Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gave up with ipad, but Win 8 tablet??

Thanks

Gave up with ipad, but Win 8 tablet??

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ive got two ipads, jammed with everything from cubasis, auria, korg gadget, to amplitube, animoog, iSEM etc

And other than running touchable I just dont think they are anything more than gimmicks for recording imho. While on my travels I got stuck lugging a 15" laptop around as the ipads always seem to be missing something critical in every app...but I thought Id take a chance on a win 8 tablet...now this does replace the laptop...and without the docking station cost $300 with intels bayrail quad core CPU...needs a mouse/stylus/tiny fingers, but works great

So if like me the ipad didnae quite cut it, maybe one of these would

image-jpg

image-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Which tablet did you get?
    Michael Rideout: Yamaha PSR-E433/PSR-E443/YPT-400; M-Audio Axiom 61-II
    Acoustica Mixcraft; Anvil Studio; PreSonus Studio One; SynthFont; etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGtGruff View Post
    Which tablet did you get?
    This is the dell venue 11 pro....not the most expensive, and not great for tablet dutys (lousy keyboard) but work fantastic for this...the hub gives you another 3 usb ports and an hdmi monitor out port (the actual tablet has one too)

I managed to get a few things started on this, and of course porting it across to my main rig is far easier than faffing about with the ipad

one other thing...although its 64gb memory the micro sd is expanded by another 128 gb...plenty for a small tablet
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Is that real Ableton on a tablet?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

---------- Update ----------

Also, welcome back kc

Thanks
    I think the tablets once they get up to some power do have a place in recording. Take something like you have, add a decent interface, DAW and you are off and running to record just about anywhere.

I just purchased a portable rack system from Gator cases that hold my interfaces, added a rack mounted power-strip, slide my cheap laptop (which looks like what you have would replace the laptop easy) and I have a nice little portable rig to record at a moments notice. All I need is one outlet to plug into.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkage View Post
    Is that real Ableton on a tablet?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

---------- Update ----------

Also, welcome back kc
    Cheers mate...yup full ableton, unfortunately its not touchscreen friendly so you really need to use a mouse. I got sonar for $25 (holy shit) and it has touchscreen compatibility. We're talking decent sized projects too before the cpu maxes out.

Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    I think the tablets once they get up to some power do have a place in recording. Take something like you have, add a decent interface, DAW and you are off and running to record just about anywhere.

I just purchased a portable rack system from Gator cases that hold my interfaces, added a rack mounted power-strip, slide my cheap laptop (which looks like what you have would replace the laptop easy) and I have a nice little portable rig to record at a moments notice. All I need is one outlet to plug into.
    The new tablets are coming with intel i5's and 4 gigs RAM...they are laptop replacers for sure
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    The new tablets are coming with intel i5's and 4 gigs RAM...they are laptop replacers for sure
    Next versions of Reaper and Ableton (Which are the two DAWs I use) I am sure will be touchscreen compatible. I really think it will be a nice step.

With the right chip set and SD cards that are up to 128 Gb, pretty much sets the direction of next generation recording.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Personally, at the moment I'm not interested as much in using a tablet for recording as I am in using one for controlling my keyboards.

Still, if you buy a 25-key MIDI controller, a tablet, a DAW, and a backpack, you've got a portable recording studio that you can take with you when you're traveling. Obviously, you can-- and should, in my opinion-- redo your recordings on bigger/better hardware once you get back home, but the ability to pull out your tablet and keyboard while sitting in an airport or at a bus stop helps you record your musical ideas before they evaporate. I can't count the number of times I was sitting doing something else and I started banging out a rhythm or whistling a catchy tune that I thought had some potential, but by the time I got to where I could try to record it on my desktop computer I could no longer remember it!
    Michael Rideout: Yamaha PSR-E433/PSR-E443/YPT-400; M-Audio Axiom 61-II
    Acoustica Mixcraft; Anvil Studio; PreSonus Studio One; SynthFont; etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    Next versions of Reaper and Ableton (Which are the two DAWs I use) I am sure will be touchscreen compatible. I really think it will be a nice step.

With the right chip set and SD cards that are up to 128 Gb, pretty much sets the direction of next generation recording.

Yeah the ipads touchscreen apps are lightyears from using ableton on this....but the scope is so much more on a win 8 tablet
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGtGruff View Post
    Personally, at the moment I'm not interested as much in using a tablet for recording as I am in using one for controlling my keyboards.

Still, if you buy a 25-key MIDI controller, a tablet, a DAW, and a backpack, you've got a portable recording studio that you can take with you when you're traveling. Obviously, you can-- and should, in my opinion-- redo your recordings on bigger/better hardware once you get back home, but the ability to pull out your tablet and keyboard while sitting in an airport or at a bus stop helps you record your musical ideas before they evaporate. I can't count the number of times I was sitting doing something else and I started banging out a rhythm or whistling a catchy tune that I thought had some potential, but by the time I got to where I could try to record it on my desktop computer I could no longer remember it!
    I have a small set up in case going to my rig is out of the question...both are networked so I can lift projects wirelessly...also the table slips into Maschine stand, I used to sit on my balcony and use it as a standalone...4-5 hrs battery life
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thread Information