Classroom recording

Misterblue22

Hi guys, I’m a primary school teacher and I’m looking to record the singing of an entire classroom using a tablet or smartphone. Is that even possible? Thanks.

+1.
Any smartphone should let you take a voice memo.

Just keep your hands clear of the mic when doing it. It's very easy to cover the microphones with your grip.

Before you go down the phone route, might be an idea to ask around the staff and see if anyone has HR as a hobby? If someone does I would bet they would relish the chance to record a 'choir'!

If even the music teacher cannot help, canvas the pupils? Bet there is at least ONE dad with some kit. The best I could rock up with is an A&H ZED10 my KA6 and a 3 capacitor mics but I bet I could make a far better job than a bloody phone!

Dave.

I was being a little facetious there. IDK when was the last time you went to a school vocal concert. I've got the holidays coming up and will be subjected to a couple in the not distant future. And then especially if they're doing this in a classroom - not the auditorium or even the gym... And ultimately, what is this for? Parents and grandparents will be tickled just to hear anything. If anybody has any expectations of a "radio-ready" production from this debacle, they should lay those down right now.

But I was also dead serious. My bloody phone does a surprisingly good job of capturing reasonably flat and natural sound even at relatively high volumes. As with anything, it's going to be all about placement anyway. The phone is portable and convenient and you've probably got a few in the classroom already. Set up as many as you want and either pick the best or mix a few together. With a little care, it'll be as good as anything else.

Reactions: TAE
Back