Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best setup for recording on the iPad

Thanks

Best setup for recording on the iPad

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi All,
    I just got an iPad 3 in August and I was hoping that I can use this as a fairly cheap recording tool that I can take on the road with me and when jamming with friends. If you have an iPad and you record music on it, what's your setup look like? I'm hoping to spend no more than about $500 on mics and other equipment. Thanks!

Thanks
    I haven't used it but check out the iTrack Solo from Focusrite. Sells for ~$150.

Thanks
    I just use the Rode iXY and it's AMAZING. I just got mine in. I can't believe how amazing it is. I was using the Zoom h4n plugged into the iPad. This destroys that, as there is no noise floor. I also have the iRig HD for plugging in an electric guitar. Both devices record at 24 bits, 96k. I keep it down to 48k.

I can't imagine a better mic for the iPad than the iXY. I did an A B test with it recording my acoustic guitar, against some expensive mic's through my tube pre amp in my studio, and it was hard to tell the difference. I did not expect that for 200 dollars.

Thanks
    I'm trying to find a interface that will receive midi, control audio in and out and keep the iPad charged.. There are several that will do it..I bought the Behringer but sent it back cause of crackling in the audio when I turned it up..

Just tried the Iconnectivity midi 2+ but after fiddling with it for a few hours tonight if a phone call tomorrow morning doesn't get it working...it's going back..

I went through a lot of reviews on the Focusrite and after seeing a lot of negative comments I am not going to try it...

May just go with the Alesis iodock..decide tomorrow after I go through the hoops with tech support at iConnectivity...cool company and nicely built product, great reviews, but so far for me ...no bueno
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )
    Yamaha MOX8 / Reaper / various synths......

"Reality is what we agree we see", least that's how I see it

All Covered Up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    I'm trying to find a interface that will receive midi, control audio in and out and keep the iPad charged.. There are several that will do it..I bought the Behringer but sent it back cause of crackling in the audio when I turned it up..

Just tried the Iconnectivity midi 2+ but after fiddling with it for a few hours tonight if a phone call tomorrow morning doesn't get it working...it's going back..

I went through a lot of reviews on the Focusrite and after seeing a lot of negative comments I am not going to try it...

May just go with the Alesis iodock..decide tomorrow after I go through the hoops with tech support at iConnectivity...cool company and nicely built product, great reviews, but so far for me ...no bueno
    IK Multimedia has a lot of iPad and now Android interfaces they sell. Have you looked at them?
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks

Id be careful buying the idock...the ipads IOS changes far quicker than they keep up...they even stopped support on there 30pin back on IOS6...thats pretty shitty considering there were many 30pin units shipped with IOS7 and no warning from alesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    Id be careful buying the idock...the ipads IOS changes far quicker than they keep up...they even stopped support on there 30pin back on IOS6...thats pretty shitty considering there were many 30pin units shipped with IOS7 and no warning from alesis.
    I've always resisted APPLE and it wasn't until a few years ago that I started messing with them at all...They are generally over priced and all their proprietary bullshit bullshit..i.e 30 pin to lighning etc..bullshit money grabbing bullshit..

That all said..dammit! Their platform compensates developers better and makes it somewhat easy for developers to make and sell apps...further promoting bullshit bullshit...ugh

I was given a used duo core imac and started messing with it with Reaper and found it even though several years old to work damn well...then getting warmed up to the dark side, I bought used iPhone 3gs's for the wife and I and after we got through the itunes / icloud torture they worked damn nice.. just upgraded a few weeks back, bought two 32 gb iPhone 5's for $550 used and after going through the itunes / icloud torture of getting our contacts and such switched over they work way awesome..

Picked up a iPad 2 for the wife / granddaughter @ 6 months ago, then one for me to play with a month ago ..Have about $500 invested in both with cases ...at that price it is acceptable at the new prices ...fahgetaboutit.

In regards to interface for the iPad

After fighting through the Behringer is202 bs I opted for the iConnectivty midi2+ I do like this company as they are pretty clever ...that little $89 interface ( sans the damn 6 volt dc adapter ) is pretty slick and the software to route and work with so far is damn deep and cool. using the ipad as a sound module the midi2+ routes the audio back to my computer magically via midi..wtf!

I used it last night for practice with the band ( just using the iPad audio out to my amp) and it worked flawlessly ..well sort of...my Hammond app Galileo hung on a note in one song.. BTW the midi2+ charges the ipad as it is interfacing with the midi keyboard with the optional wall wart that I already had in my arsenal of 50+ extra wall warts

As a keyboardist having played with a lot of synths and keyboard toys over the years these apps for $10 to $50 are flipping bad ass...having fun but there are definitely limitations due to the apple way of doing things their money making way...

All Covered Up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    IK Multimedia has a lot of iPad and now Android interfaces they sell. Have you looked at them?
    The IK stuff works pretty well, but doesn't charge the iPad as you're using it, which I find to be a bummer.
    XploZiveToyz
    "Remember: Children should never be allowed to play with XploZiveToyz!"

Thanks
    I've always resisted APPLE and it wasn't until a few years ago that I started messing with them at all...They are generally over priced and all their proprietary bullshit bullshit..i.e 30 pin to lighning etc..bullshit money grabbing bullshit..

That all said..dammit! Their platform compensates developers better and makes it somewhat easy for developers to make and sell apps...further promoting bullshit bullshit...ugh

I was given a used duo core imac and started messing with it with Reaper and found it even though several years old to work damn well...then getting warmed up to the dark side, I bought used iPhone 3gs's for the wife and I and after we got through the itunes / icloud torture they worked damn nice.. just upgraded a few weeks back, bought two 32 gb iPhone 5's for $550 used and after going through the itunes / icloud torture of getting our contacts and such switched over they work way awesome..

Picked up a iPad 2 for the wife / granddaughter @ 6 months ago, then one for me to play with a month ago ..Have about $500 invested in both with cases ...at that price it is acceptable at the new prices ...fahgetaboutit.

In regards to interface for the iPad

After fighting through the Behringer is202 bs I opted for the iConnectivty midi2+ I do like this company as they are pretty clever ...that little $89 interface ( sans the damn 6 volt dc adapter ) is pretty slick and the software to route and work with so far is damn deep and cool. using the ipad as a sound module the midi2+ routes the audio back to my computer magically via midi..wtf!

I used it last night for practice with the band ( just using the iPad audio out to my amp) and it worked flawlessly ..well sort of...my Hammond app Galileo hung on a note in one song.. BTW the midi2+ charges the ipad as it is interfacing with the midi keyboard with the optional wall wart that I already had in my arsenal of 50+ extra wall warts

As a keyboardist having played with a lot of synths and keyboard toys over the years these apps for $10 to $50 are flipping bad ass...having fun but there are definitely limitations due to the apple way of doing things their money making way...
    Yeah I feel the ipad has its uses in the studio...I love Touchable 2 and use it regularly...as for synths etc...shit I have arturias collection and komplete ultimate and they rarely get opened on my rig, let alone ipad synth apps. I know they seem cheap but I have plenty of apps in the $50 range...I reckon my ipads come to around $1k each with all the installed apps, in fact easily. As I said on another thread they just feel like gimmick, at the end of the day a tablet running a full version of windows just crushes these for serious usability

Im not anti apple, I have two imacs, iphones, macbook air, but none of them are for music...their windows counterparts just beat them for value and usability everytime imho
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XploZiveToyz View Post
    The IK stuff works pretty well, but doesn't charge the iPad as you're using it, which I find to be a bummer.
    seriously......same with line 6.... these companies making interfaces for the ipad that don't allow you the option to charge it while using it are missing an important very inexpensive "added value" feature.

I'm really impressed with the iConnectivity company and their gear..They don't include the wall wart but spent the $5 to add a jack to the unit for one

All Covered Up

Thread Information