Zoom r24 built in mics delay - suggestions needed

marcovaldo

Dear HomeRecorder,

thank you for the possiblity to express my difficulties as a pure amateur, a beginner.
I have a zoom r24 digital recorder, and I've tried to record a realsal sesson with this settings:

dedicated mic for voice, 1,5 meter cable.
Dedicated mic for clarinet, 3 mt cable.
Built in mics for cajon and acoustic guitar.
All musicians in the same room.

Of course part of voice's and clarinet's were going also into the build in mics and viceversa.
But that's ok for my purpose.

The issue is that the built in mics have somethimes (quite often, but not always) an unpleasant deley of 1-2 seconds.
To be more clear: ich the cajon gives a hit close to the built in mic, I hear the hit from the clarinet mic channel and than coming from the built mic channels.. so all channels are out of synch.

What could possibily be the reason for this problem?

Most of the recs are quite unusable.

I check the sound only on the beginning of the recording sessions and sounds ok, and then I use a lot the "mark" function during the recording.

If someone of you coudl give me some hints, I would really appraciate.
I am not a pro, but I'd like to have acceptable sounds in recording the rehalsal sessions.

thank you very much in advance for you help.
MArco

Are you hearing the delay when monitoring the recording AND when listening back to what was recorded, or just when monitoring?

Are you hearing the delay when monitoring the recording AND when listening back to what was recorded, or just when monitoring?

Hi
thank you for your feedback.

Actually, I am hearing this only when listening back to what was recorded.
No evidence of problems when monitoring.

Thanks
marco

I have an R-16 which is basically the same unit as far function and the built in mics. You mention that you do not always get the "delay" from the built in recording tracks.

1. Are you changing any channel settings as you go? Effects.....etc?
2. Does the delay come and go during a track that has not been "marked" or stopped during recording?
3. The built in mics are ok but do pick up a huge amount of room noise the further they are from the source. Could it be room noise you hear on quieter places in the music?
4. Should we assume you are making no adjustments..........just dry sound?

I'm not sure of anything here...........just trying to get a little more information.

I have an R-16 which is basically the same unit as far function and the built in mics. You mention that you do not always get the "delay" from the built in recording tracks.

1. Are you changing any channel settings as you go? Effects.....etc?
2. Does the delay come and go during a track that has not been "marked" or stopped during recording?
3. The built in mics are ok but do pick up a huge amount of room noise the further they are from the source. Could it be room noise you hear on quieter places in the music?
4. Should we assume you are making no adjustments..........just dry sound?

I'm not sure of anything here...........just trying to get a little more information.

Hi Mickster
1. no, I am not.
2. I suppose the come and go effect may be related to marked tracks - i normally let the "tape" go and mark on going.
3. no, it's really the same sounds - just delayed.
4. there are some effects from the PAN/EQ area, Reverb Chorus and Fader, but they are equally set for all mics, also for built in mics.

Maybe this would create the issue?
I have a reharsal session in 2 hours, I will put everything to 0 in th Send-return area and test it!

Thanks
Marco

What I suggest is that you record everything "dry".....no effects. You can add them later for each track. See how it sounds first without any effects. Good luck and have fun!!!

What I suggest is that you record everything "dry".....no effects. You can add them later for each track. See how it sounds first without any effects. Good luck and have fun!!!

Thanks. I've tested it with the dty sound.
internal mics were delayed only two time:

1) at minute 35
2) at minute 52.

It's relate to the "mark" action, the delay is delimited whitin a specific mark.
Often the mark is also related with a "stop" (what I mean is that I often press stop and mark).

I can imagine only to test shorter sessions than 35 minutes?

it's a strange behaviour.

MArco

It just dawned on me. If you say the noise is related to track marking. Have you updated your Zoom system software? A long while back the R16 and R24 systems did have some issues with "noise" / "sounds" when using certain control buttons during record such as record start and stop and others. The update solved those issues. So..........be sure you have the latest version.

Back