Zoom R16 Multitrack SD recorder & interface

stevem5000

Hi guys...Totally new here...
I have been recording at a small local venue that has an excellent sound board...I pull off the stereo outs into a little Zoom H2 digital recorder....I usually have the instruments
into one channel and vocals into the other channel...

Then I drop it into audacity...break out the tracks...maybe apply some sonic techniques...then mix it down to a mono track...and make a few CD's for the performers...with full inserts and graphics direct printed on the CD...some of them look very commercial looking...

I do this a couple times a month...My results vary a LOT....I do this as an amateur recording...(hobby)...

I would like to try to improve my sound and I've been thinking about the Zoom R16 Multitrack SD Recorder Controller and Interface...
Amazon.com: Zoom R16 Multitrack SD Recorder Controller and Interface: Musical Instruments

Was wondering if any of you are using the device and what you experience is...

I have a short 8 channel snake that I can plug into the direct outs of the mix board...so I will be getting raw sound which I can re-mix to suite...

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated...

I have one that I use for recording away from home. I have alos used it at home as an interface to Reaper.
It's pretty good ONCE I learnt the way things are set up and such.
It's VERY light and needs to be treated carefully as a drag on a cable would easily pull it off a surface.
Only 2 mic preamps built in.
I like it, it's fun & easy to use - get a good SD card, set up a computer to receive it or read from the card as mixing in the R16 isn't so successful as in Reaper or other DAWs.
It'll do a reasonable job from a board but it is only a max of 8 channels IN at a time.
It'd allow you to properly mix a performance rather than tweaking a stereo file.
This Zoom R16 DVD Tutorial - ProAudioDVDs.comProAudioDVDs.com fellow has a terrific DVD tutorial of how to get the best from the thing. I fiddled around for a couple of months before buying the DVD and THEN I leapt ahead.
Ditch Audacity & use the free version of Reaper until you know you like it - then pay for it if you're inclined & it's worth it (I was impressed enough to pay for it after I finished my 1st project).

I have one that I use for recording away from home. I have alos used it at home as an interface to Reaper.
It's pretty good ONCE I learnt the way things are set up and such.
It's VERY light and needs to be treated carefully as a drag on a cable would easily pull it off a surface.
Only 2 mic preamps built in.
I like it, it's fun & easy to use - get a good SD card, set up a computer to receive it or read from the card as mixing in the R16 isn't so successful as in Reaper or other DAWs.
It'll do a reasonable job from a board but it is only a max of 8 channels IN at a time.
It'd allow you to properly mix a performance rather than tweaking a stereo file.
This Zoom R16 DVD Tutorial - ProAudioDVDs.comProAudioDVDs.com fellow has a terrific DVD tutorial of how to get the best from the thing. I fiddled around for a couple of months before buying the DVD and THEN I leapt ahead.
Ditch Audacity & use the free version of Reaper until you know you like it - then pay for it if you're inclined & it's worth it (I was impressed enough to pay for it after I finished my 1st project).

Rayc....................Many thanks....you gave me what I was looking for...
I have used Reaper a little...never really learned it...
Took a look at the DVD...and If I get the Zoom...I will get the DVD also...
Good info...well laid out...you know what you're talking about....
Thanks again...

Steve,
I've went up to the R24 for a quick and simple portable recording system. You get more mic inputs with the 24, with phantom power. You can get some really nice results by miking up the instruments, and then running the vocals from the PA directly to one of the channels. I was surprised the first time I set it up and hit record. Set the levels and walk away. 6 hours later the system finished filling the 16gb SD card. That should cover most shows.

You then have the option of mixing down in the R24, or, as I did, pull the SD card and put it in a computer, copy the audio files to the hard drive and mix it up in Reaper.

Back