Is the Zoom R16 good for recording high quality demos?

Codee9

I'm trying to record a demo cd of my songs by myself. I'm going to play each instrument over one another with a multitrack so it sounds like a band. But i need a good high quality multitrack. Is the Zoom r16 good? Or Zoom in general?

I've had the R16 for over a year now. I use it as an interface and generally use all eight inputs at 24 Bit, 44.1 Sample Rate. I also love it as a DAW controller, although it has quirks with that. It makes fader automation so much easier.

If you need all eight inputs, the R16 is definitely a value buy. It records clean and easy. It doesn't add any extra noise. My previous experience is with 4-track tape and outdated Boss standalone units so this is infinitely better though I couldn't compare it with other units.

I don't care for the Cubase 5 it came packaged with but it works. The built-in effects are rubbish. One problem I do have with the R16 is that it has trouble pushing high-gain mics up to an appropriate level.

If you don't need all eight inputs (which if you're tracking everything separately) you could save some money going to something with less inputs.

Back