Zero Latency Drum Recording

ozzynotwood

Hi Everyone. I've just joined to ask a question. This looks like a really good forum and I plan to start contributing soon :)

I've been researching for hours for an answer to my question and so far no luck.......

I want to record zero latency drums BUT use the same technique as recording zero latency guitars as this method just works 100%.

For guitars I mic up my cab, set the Focusrite 18i8 to direct monitoring and hit record. My performance is not audible through the DAW (hence zero latency) and while I do play off Addictive Drums 2 (using programmed MIDI tracks) it's my understanding SONAR X3 (and other software) realigns the audio at the playback stage to remove any latency between raw audio and VST's. So far so good.

With no room for drums but the desire perform on every track please let me know if this should work before I drop the money......

My idea is to use the Korg Triton Taktile MIDI controller to perform the drums.

TRITONTAKTILE25-0_1.png

This controller has built-in sounds, including drums.

My proposed recording process is:
Use a backing track made up of rhythm guitars and a click track.
Record my "drum" performance sending the MIDI data to the DAW track and direct monitoring from the KORG.
Play back all the tracks with the MIDI data being set to Addictive Drums 2 (hopefully having SONAR X3 compensating any latency issues)

Does this sound possible? I know recording guitars over a programmed MIDI track with AD2 in the play back works great and all I'm suggesting is my existing process in reverse (knowing a MIDI/Synth controller is a lot different than a mic'd tube amp). I really don't want to re-align audio manually.

As long as you are monitoring the sounds of the keyboard, you will not get latency. If you tried monitoring addictive drums, you would.

Back