Is your preamp a DI?

Pom

I want to record bass with professional quality. I think the best way to do this in my case is with a DI and a mic.

Can i use the pream of my bass instead of a DI box or will this subtract from the quality?

I use an Ashdown MAG 300 EVO II

It has an Tuner/Line output

a Post EQ output which states it is "D.I."

diifiiii.png

Would for example a Tech 21 VT Bass DI (SansAmp Character Series) stompbox have added value?

Attachments

• ashdown-mag-300h-evo-ii-head-338884.jpg
    ashdown-mag-300h-evo-ii-head-338884.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Full disclosure - I'm not a bass player, just one of those guitar twiddlers that has one sitting in the room for when a real bass player is not available...

The only reason to use a separate DI, IMO, would be to capture a dry signal from the bass before going through your bass preamp, e.g., if you wanted to have something you could add different amp sim plugins (e.g.) or even reamp. I wouldn't be sending it through another amp emulation chain, personally.

My other thought is that the DI on your amp may not provide a lot of difference from the mic'd sound, save the cabinet/speaker itself. So, if you're sending something with a fair amount of gain you might consider capturing a cleaner signal, in case you decide in the mix stage you'd like to dial it back.

Back