You Thoughts about CAD Drum Mics For The New Guy

Formyson

Your Thoughts about CAD Drum Mics For The New Guy

Hi all, we are entering the world of home recording and started laying down some demo tracks. There is so much to learn but it is also so much fun. Let me tell you what I'm using before I ask a couple of questions.

Dual Core Mac Mini 16 gig of RAM
Logic Pro X
Akai EIE interface
Couple cheap dynamic mics
Audix OM2
Audix D2
Basically your basic garage band gear.

Question 1
We are not happy with what we're getting when we record our drums so I'm looking at buying a set of lower end drum mics. The CAD Stage 7 good or bad idea for beginners?

Question 2
Looking at upgrading to the PreSonus Audiobox 1818 interface to get 8 line ins but intend to continue using the Logic Pro X. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
I use a lot of CAD mics, and they make some really good mics. I'm unfamiliar with the mic set you are talking about, but I think you answered your own question--get them, and use them. If you're just starting out, you can't go wrong here. Those mics (and the ones you have) can give perfectly acceptable results. What you don't mention, and is very important, more important than the mics, is the room you're recording in. What's it like?

I also have some cad mics. Not the drum mics but a E-100-2 and a M179 both great bang for your buck mics. The notorious Greg_L used cad mics on his older recordings and got some great sounds out of them. They are definitely a decent place to start.

I have a set of CAD drum mikes. I use the kick mike (KBM414) and one of the little ones for snare. I don't use the CAD overhead mikes.

They work well. Probably not the best mikes there are, but that's what I've got.

The notorious Greg_L used cad mics on his older recordings and got some great sounds out of them.
Yes, I was going to say this. For some reason, I always remember that Greg used a set of Cads for the longest time and I don't remember ever hearing anything other than really good sounding recordings from him.

I think the sound of the drums, how they're tuned, your room, and how the mics are placed will have a much bigger effect on the outcome of your recordings than having the greatest mics ever will.

I think the sound of the drums, how they're tuned, your room, and how the mics are placed will have a much bigger effect on the outcome of your recordings than having the greatest mics ever will.

This is very true. Possibly genius. I mean, nobody is telling you to buy $9.99 Radio Shack 1/8" plug mikes and try to record great drums, but solid mikes will give you solid recordings if everything else is solid.

We have gotten some very good results recording vocals and guitar tracks in a room that was added on to the back of our home but we can't seem to seem to capture the drums without a lot of bounce back and echo. We are going to move the kit into our living room that is shaped more lilke a pentagon and set up some temporary dampening panels that we have made. I am using a sound analyzer app and pink noise to try and get the best environment. Does this sound like I'm headind in the right direction? I understand that the better the captured tracks the better the mix.

We have gotten some very good results recording vocals and guitar tracks in a room that was added on to the back of our home but we can't seem to seem to capture the drums without a lot of bounce back and echo. We are going to move the kit into our living room that is shaped more lilke a pentagon and set up some temporary dampening panels that we have made. I am using a sound analyzer app and pink noise to try and get the best environment. Does this sound like I'm headind in the right direction? I understand that the better the captured tracks the better the mix.

The pentagon room sounds like it might be better. Maybe that other room was too live.

How are you miking the drums? That might be an issue as well.

Sound analyzer? Hmmm, maybe.

Back