You Guys Ever Compress Drum Machines?

Robertt8

...Well, not the actual drum machines, but the sound coming from them? I've got a Boss dr. Rhythm DR-770. I was just wondering if this was considered a bad idea.

Last edited:
Robertt8 said:
...Well, not the actual drum machines, but the sound coming from them? I've got a Boss dr. Rhythm DR-770. I was just wondering this was considered a bad idea.

I've tried it. Seems to sound a bit punchier. I have the same exact drum machine. I usually use either "studio" or "loud" depending on the song. I wish I could remember the compression settings, but I don't.

Yes, but it usually doesn't help much. The sounds they use are generally pretty even. You can get it punchier, but you risk loosing what little dynamics the machine has. It definately worth a try, though, and works great on some tunes.

Its a godsend at times if you have a drum part programmed in that's *too* dynamic- a compressor will help take that excessively loud hit. Easier than reprogramming the part.

Take care,
Chris

I never compress drummachines to even out the dynamics, but it's great sculpture the sound of the entire kit. You can make the kick snappier, make the cymbals suck in and out etc.

A good sounding compressor can make miracles with a drummachine, making it sounds more like the real thing.

A sledgehammer works, sure, but it's more of a soft knee response.

Maybe you should run the drum machine into your "brickwall limiter." He-he.

MP

Iv'e been known to apply ridiculous amounts of compression to Soft Drum Machines.

Does that count? ;)

But seriously,MIDI driven drum machines dont really NEED compression,yet we still apply it for tonal effect,rather than dynamic effect.

Well.....I do anyway :)

If you're using the drum machine as substitue for the real thing use compression sparingly or your beats will sound very flat and over produced. Most samples are already highly processed already. I and others on the other hand do music where I don't care much for the stock sounds. Most of what I do is textural and heavily effected. If you abuse your machine through the compressor you can get some great sounds that are NOTHING like what's going in. First time I did that I was amazed. I put an Alesis DM5 through a DBX 1046 and was spared from the "I-have-to-have-analog-gear" addiciton. Incidentally some of the sounds on the old analog drum boxes are samples.

Back