XY drum recording.

ManInMotion711

I've been using the Glen John technique along with close micing the drums. I want to try a new technique to expand my knowledge of techniques to record. Can anyone please explain to me how to properly set up my overheads and also is it possible to use large diaphragm condenser mics instead of pencil condensor mics? And would they have to be the same kind of mic?

I'm pretty sure using large condensers (such as U87s) as overheads is pretty common practice.

The title of your thread was XY recording and your OP doesn't even mention it. What exactly are you asking?

There are two ways to accomplish XY techniques with LDCs.

First:

AT4050-XY.jpg

Second:

AT4050-BL.jpg

If you don't have those kind of stereo adapters, it can prove difficult at times to get the positions right with normal stands. And yes, using the same kind of mic, particularly a matched pair, is preferable.

Cheers :)

I like X-Y overheads. Way fewer phase issues.

Attachments

• XY.jpg
    XY.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 195
  • stereo 4033s.jpg
    stereo 4033s.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 100
Man in motion, I'd recommend doing a quick A/B/C test with known techniques.
I know it won't be a super dooper controlled test, but it'll be enough to highlight the differences.

I think it's hard to truly appreciate the differences until you can directly compare recordings.
I did this with acoustic guitar a long time ago. Spaced pair, X/Y, mid side etc. The difference was astonishing!
I've recorded spaced pair ever since but that's guitar and that's me…Who knows what you'd prefer on drums.

One word of advice: Be fussy about position, especially with X/Y and mid side.
As they say, an inch makes all the difference.

I like xy from behind flipped phase about 2 ft above the drummer behind 1 ft then a lcm about 4 feet in front center about the height of the toms. in the mix: xy hard panned and front centered.
then xy with some ribbons in front about a foot away from the drums above the highest cymbols.

I like xy from behind flipped phase about 2 ft above the drummer behind 1 ft then a lcm about 4 feet in front center about the height of the toms. in the mix: xy hard panned and front centered.
then xy with some ribbons in front about a foot away from the drums above the highest cymbols.

Glad you mentioned this because reversing the polarity of XY overheads behind the kit is almost always mandatory. Don't quite know why this is but it's the truth.

Glad you mentioned this because reversing the polarity of XY overheads behind the kit is almost always mandatory. Don't quite know why this is but it's the truth.

I do it because the reletive phase fits better with the internal mics in the kick drums.
as I mic the kicks inside with d112's and co4's eq them so the d112's gives me punch while the co4 gives me pop. the kick sound in the overheads give me a snap and playing with different compression volumes on the mixing stages gives me more control of how big I want the kit as a whole to sound. cause big is not a function of output level it is a factor of how good the phase relations and harmonics gel with each other.

mic positioning and drum tuning is the time consuming obstical, but no one should ever rush that.

Back