Xlr to 1/4 phantom power condenser

arosemond

I have a studio projects b1 connected straight into a tascam dp03sd portastudio in this order Mic>xlr cable with 1/4 headphone jack on the end> 1/4 to guitar jack adaper> guitar jack> xlr adapter. In getting phantom power but its too low and then when i turned up the built in pre it added alot of gain. Is the cable to blame and i need an male xlr to female xlr cable? Or is it the mic? The cheapo dynamic worked better than this is working now

Hi,
Stop! :)

If any of those connectors are unbalanced, do not use them in conjunction with phantom power.
Anything intended to be used with a guitar will be unbalanced so, yeah, stop.

I think terminology is getting mixed up.
I guess you're getting a signal but it's too quiet, and turning up the preamp gain introduces a lot of noise?

Shortest simplest answer, get an XLR-m to XLR-f cable.
Even if it turns out your tascam is providing enough gain, you'll still need/make use of that XLR cable. :)

Hi,
Stop! :)

If any of those connectors are unbalanced, do not use them in conjunction with phantom power.
Anything intended to be used with a guitar will be unbalanced so, yeah, stop.

I think terminology is getting mixed up.
I guess you're getting a signal but it's too quiet, and turning up the preamp gain introduces a lot of noise?

Shortest simplest answer, get an XLR-m to XLR-f cable.
Even if it turns out your tascam is providing enough gain, you'll still need/make use of that XLR cable. :)

The mic cable is male xlr to a headphone jack and then theres an adapter that turns that into a guitar jack and the another adapter to make it an xlr female jack. Im getting a signal but its low and and when i turn it up i get too much added noise

Same answer. If even one of those adapters is unbalanced (anything guitar will be), you've got problems.

Get an XLR-f to XLR-m cable. :)

Studio Projects B1

^ shows the B1 to be of average sensitivity but of better than average self noise so the should not be a problem (my AKG P150s are 8dB noisier and less sensitive and I don't have a problem with those.)

As Mr S says, that Christmas tree of adaptors is buggering something up. XLR to XLR. K.I.S.Sir!

Dave.

Guys i took your advice and i went out and bought a new xlr cable and now its way better. I gotta wait till the family's sleep to fully test it but from what i heard it seems to be working well

Phantom power is not provided to the 1/4 inputs. So there was no power getting to the mic. Now that you are plugged into the right input, everything should be ok.

The other problem with mixing phantom and TRS jacks is that if the quarter inch is plugged or unplugged while live, the design of the connector means that one leg is connected briefly before the other which can result in a jolt of 48 volts where you don't want it.

Back