Is it worth Upgrading to a BLUE YETI

Abnormalweeny

Hey guys! ives been using a blue snowball for awhile and love the quality.BUT i would love even BETTER quality is it worth upgrading to a blue yeti?
If you have other mic suggestions please leave them too! but keep in mind they cant pick up too much ambient noise.Thanks

If you are going to upgrade from a USB mic, my advise would not be to upgrade to another USB mic. If you are serious (or even slightly-serious) about recording, it will be worth it to you to upgrade to an audio interface + XLR mic setup. You can get a fairly decent setup going for under $150 if you shop smart.

Do yourself a big favor: Get an interface and real mics.

usb mics are for podcasting and the interface chips inside them is just going to give you problems.

A reasonable first approximation would be the M-Audio MobilePre

It gives you 24-bit, 48 kHz audio which is more than satisfactory audio quality
Two XLR/TS combo jacks and two line inputs so you can plug in either microphones or instruments
And it provides 48V phantom power for use with condenser mics if you need to use them

You can go better of course and there are similar alternatives but its not a bad start

A reasonable first approximation would be the M-Audio MobilePre

It gives you 24-bit, 48 kHz audio which is more than satisfactory audio quality
Two XLR/TS combo jacks and two line inputs so you can plug in either microphones or instruments
And it provides 48V phantom power for use with condenser mics if you need to use them

You can go better of course and there are similar alternatives but its not a bad start

Any good mics to go with it?

I agree with c7sus but that doesn't offer you a solution. That question can't really be answered with one microphone. It depends how much you want to spend and whether you want to record vocals, instruments, drums. And the best way to kill ambient noise is not to have any. That means some acoustic treatment. I use AKG D7 dynamic mics for general use, SM58s for live gigs. I also use AKG Perception condenser mics for some applications like drums and acoustic guitars. These are not the best you can get but they do give you a reasonable start

And I know I will get shot down for mentioning the SM58s in a studio conversation. They are live gig vocal mics, not recording mics but they do have a slightly lower frequency response that might help with the ambient noise you mentioned.

Well no one has asked where you live in the world - which will have a big impact to what is available to you at a reasonable price. New or used.

Back