Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wireless tracking headphones?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    ...you can spend hundreds or even thousands on a wireless system that's almost as good as a $20 cable.

Cords are only a PITA if you don't have them laid out properly, or if too short, or what have you...but I would always rather plug in than use wireless.

At the console, there's a close by connection. For longer runs when I'm tracking, I have some passive headphone boxes I'll put out near to where I'm standing, so I run a line from the headphone amp to the box, and then plug the headphone in at the box.
    For tracking guitars, I made a harness that has both guitar cord and headphone extension cord with a female connector that ends up right next to the guitar jack. I then have a very short cord from the headphones to that female connector.
    I have headphones that have removable cables...so I can use a long one or a short one.
    Works great...the guitar cable and headphone extension cable are both on the same side and move together...there's no headphone cable for me to get tangled up in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    Direct Sound (Extreme Isolation) is supposed to be coming out with wireless iso headphones at some point, but I don't know how close they are to release. I watched a video about them from Winter NAMM, and they looked cool. But I've yet to see any hit the market.
    For tracking they need to be analogue wireless - digital wireless has latency...

Thanks
    Using cordless device might work.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Then there is the headroom issue (NPI!)
    The power levels in portable headphones is necessarily limited by battery size, voltage and weight.
    A look at what is required for 'audiophile' headphone amplifiers suggests a drive power of at least one watt per lug for clean peaks. For the very best cans amps, Benchmark e.g. some 4 watts total is available. No wonder peeps are often critical of USB powered H/P feeds of AIs? That has only 2.5W to power everything! (4.5W for USB 3.0 but how many 3.0 AIs are there?)

Dave.

Thanks
    Dave, you got sucked into a necro-post!
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Dave, you got sucked into a necro-post!
    Oh ***K! Ah well, the laws of physics haven't changed since dear old Albert!

Dave.

Thanks
    It's only a year old.

I bought a "tour guide kit" that included an FM transmitter and ten little FM radios. The reception is not great (kinda noisy depending on where in the room you stand) and they're not super loud, but with my CAD closed-back headphones, they work well enough for most things. I've only had one band use themso far, but nobody really complained, and we got the job done.

Thanks
    Thanks, guys. I went with a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros. I don't know if they are strictly tracking headphones, but they seem to be versatile and sound good. I do not track in a room with loud amps, so I didn't really need a set of armored headphones. The cord is really only a pain when tracking acoustic guitars.
    Last edited by Robus; 12 Hours Ago at 06:48.

Thanks
    The HD280s are excellent headphones for the money and provide decent isolation. To be honest to get better levels/isolation you're probably looking at something like the Sony 7506--loud but I prefer the Sennheiser sound.

One idea for things like guitars where the cables can interfere with each other: take a tip from your local TV reporters and get some kind of clip so you can fasten the headphone cable (with enough slack for head movements) to the back of the musicians shirt, then run the headphone cable out of the way behind the player.

Hey! If we're going to embrace thread necromancy we may as well take it all the way!
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thread Information