will this setup work for what i want?

jazzhop?

Hi guys so im a relatively new engineer in training(this is my first post on homerecording after browsing for about a year) and in the middle of setting up a portable studio for my band and when i produce/dj hiphop stuff and i wanted to get some feedback on the setup i almost have completed? I have about 3/4 of this stuff now and will have all of it within the next year. So you know what sound we are going for it is like chili peppers/hendrix rock and like 90's jazz-infused hiphop. I will be doing equal parts mixing live and recording in a studio so i need these to be practical in both senses. Also im just a college student with a pretty limited budget and i got super lucky by being in the right place at the right time for half of this stuff to fall into my hands, so i cant afford anything like an r121 or 47s/67s. Thanks for the input :listeningmusic:

---Mix/track/monitor---
Midas MR18 rackmount digital mixer
Presonus Studio One Artist for tracking instruments/vox(Considering switch to ableton/Reaper???)
Renoize for producing hiphop
Cans- Beyerdynamic DT770

---Mics---
Kick-AKG D112
Snare-Beyerdynamic M201
Toms-Sennheiser e604s
Ovrhds-Rode M5 pair

Gtr-Sennheiser e609
Bass-not sure if I want to just DI it or get an Audiotechnica ATM250?thoughts?

Vox- Sennheiser e935

---Instruments---
1961 Fender Stratocaster
1997 Epiphone ES335
Vox AC15 amplifier
Musicman Stingray Bass
1971 Fender Pbass
Gallien Kruegger MB112
Gretsch Catalina Club kit
K Custom hybrid crash 17"
A New Beats 14"
A Custom Ride 20"
Shitty no brand trash/crash that sounds awesome
Akai MPC2500

---Pedals lol---
Voodoo labs pedal power 2+
Ibanez WH10 Wah
Boss CE-2W chorus
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Line 6 FM 4 Filter modeler
EH Micro Qtron
TC Flashback Triple Delay

Last edited:
You are monitoring through headphones. You will probably need to consider a set of monitors at some stage.

If you are recording a band, there may be times when they all need headphones, so also consider a headphone amp

For recording bass guitar, I've always DI'd it with decent results. I've used amp simulation plugins to help get the bass sound I'm going for. I agree that you'll want to consider getting a decent pair of monitors at some point, although it's good to check your mix on a pair of headphones occasionally too.

Back