Why a Reverb Bus?

Just for comparison: I'm working on a song at the moment. Thirty tracks, one reverb bus, a handful of VSTIs, some other effects here and there: CPU usage = 16%, of which FX CPU use = 9%.

All I'll say is ever since I started using a reverb bus on my bigger projects, they sound a lot tighter and more cohesive. I like having the processing power to spare too, reverb adds up pretty quick as you apparently found out.

Did you not listen to anything in this thread? :laughings:

Reverb isn't usually used on each track, not just because of the CPU usage, but also because the point is to get things to sound like they are in the same space. If I were to go crazy with the reverb, I'd have Drum bus, Guitar bus, Vocal bus, and strings or whatever oddball instruments I was using.

On each track? That would probably sound messy. The bus is like glue that helps everything sit together nicely.

Out of curiosity, why did you end up putting separate reverb on each track?

"Out of curiosity, why did you end up putting separate reverb on each track?"

I am curious as well. Reverb is usually used to place an instrument, loosely put, 'in a venue'. Also as an effect at times in a controlled way. Like a short 'plate' or 'gated' verb on vocals or snare. I typically use a reverb as a 'glue'. Putting them in the same 'space' so to speak. Using a single reverb is the best start for me to get there. Save CPU for silly effects like ???.

Out of curiosity, why did you end up putting separate reverb on each track?

I like to keep the reverb in the same panned area as the original. As I had mentioned before, having everything on one bus had it sounding like a 'back of the church' mish mash. Some instruments, like the mandolin, sound good with a fair amount of reverb on them, others like the cymbals, a medium amount, and the electric guitars very little - I could probably remove the reverb entirely on them and it would sound the same (there are 4 elec tracks).

I like to keep the reverb in the same panned area as the original. As I had mentioned before, having everything on one bus had it sounding like a 'back of the church' mish mash. Some instruments, like the mandolin, sound good with a fair amount of reverb on them, others like the cymbals, a medium amount, and the electric guitars very little - I could probably remove the reverb entirely on them and it would sound the same (there are 4 elec tracks).

By all means, do it however you want. But there is about ten different ways to do what you just did with one reverb track.

I think that is where you may have missed something. Using a send from each channel to a reverb 'send' gives you control how much is actually sent to the reverb FX channel. I use Cubase, but the principles are the same. Sending similar channels (lets say guitars) to a group channel (which requires no additional CPU power) allows you to send a signal of 'just' guitars to an effects channel, thus making them feel as if they are all in the same 'space'.

As an effect though, this is where you can actually get freaky. You can create two FX channels, send from panned sources, and ?????

IMO, reverb is the most overused, necessary, redundant effect ever. Though, it is the most natural, real world effect that makes 'real' sound 'real'.

With one shared reverb you don't have to use the same amount on everything. Use the send faders to send different amounts of each instrument.

Usually I will decide which channel will get the most reverb and start with that send up to unity. Then I will set the output of the reverb channel to a level that sounds good. After that I will bring up the sends on other channels that I want in that reverb, just to whatever level that sounds good.

Many reverbs are stereo and will reflect how sends are panned. In some DAWs you can pan sends independently from the channel itself.

If it sounds like "back of the church mishmash" then you are using too much or the wrong reverb.

Sorry I should have posted this earlier - I haven't tried this in Reaper but I imagine it works about the same:

Definitely a learning curve with this software . Went back last night and lumped all the guitars into one reverb bus, did the same with the 3 drum tracks. Realized there are pan controls for each reverb input/send, too. Also realized that if you click to add an input on the bus and click to add an output from the track it's there twice and gets 2X as much reverb.
All good now, cut CPU usage to 28-43%.

Definitely a learning curve with this software . Went back last night and lumped all the guitars into one reverb bus, did the same with the 3 drum tracks. Realized there are pan controls for each reverb input/send, too. Also realized that if you click to add an input on the bus and click to add an output from the track it's there twice and gets 2X as much reverb.
All good now, cut CPU usage to 28-43%.
I'm not clear on what you are saying but if you haven't yet you could try using only one reverb send. First make your group channels and then send them all to the same reverb send using whatever levels that make each sound like you want.

I'm not clear on what you are saying but if you haven't yet you could try using only one reverb send. First make your group channels and then send them all to the same reverb send using whatever levels that make each sound like you want.

I did similar, but wanted to keep the 3 reverb channels separate - vocals, guitars and drums. I'll get the hang of this software in a few more songs!

Back