Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a Reverb Bus?

mjbphotos is offline Been Here, Posted That

Why a Reverb Bus?

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK, I have just a started using Reaper, after using a stand-alone Boss recorder to do my mixing.
    I tried setting up a Reverb Bus track but the output sounded terrible - all the instrument sounds jumbled like you were listening to a band in the back of large hall with no acoustic treatment. Obviously I can change my 'room' setting, but this is not the effect I wanted.
    I deleted the bus track and set individual reverb on the tracks and like the effect much better.
    So, why use a Reverb Bus?

clivus is offline Dedicated Member
    Never used one myself, but it might be useful for applying 'verb to a stereo recording of say a choir or orchestra. I am guessing that you have to tweek it for good results.
    "We boys were told not to go fishing. For that reason, we went."---Mark Twain

Greg_L is offline Gregois le Bloodshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    OK, I have just a started using Reaper, after using a stand-alone Boss recorder to do my mixing.
    I tried setting up a Reverb Bus track but the output sounded terrible - all the instrument sounds jumbled like you were listening to a band in the back of large hall with no acoustic treatment. Obviously I can change my 'room' setting, but this is not the effect I wanted.
    I deleted the bus track and set individual reverb on the tracks and like the effect much better.
    So, why use a Reverb Bus?
    Why? To save processing power. To get everything in the same space. You were close to what you want to do, you just did it wrong. Adjust the wet mix, pre/post fader, and/or mix the reverb track and original track to taste. There's a variety of ways to do it right. Read the manual and don't just give up on it. Reaper is one of the best DAW's out there for routing and grouping tracks.
    New Gregor The Terror album! Download - El Bastardo Azul Or Buy the CD!
    New and old stuff - Soundcloud & Reverbnation

gecko zzed is offline audio illusion
    To get the best result from a reverb bus:

insert reverb plugin on a track and set it to 100% wet.

send each recorded track (on which you want to apply reverb) to the reverb track, and adjust the send level to get the right amount of reverb you want for each track.

You can also control the reverb level from the reverb track globally by using the fader, or by adjusting the separate receives.
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45599&dateline=1256715193
    I have a theory about that

TripleM is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    To get the best result from a reverb bus:

insert reverb plugin on a track and set it to 100% wet.

send each recorded track (on which you want to apply reverb) to the reverb track, and adjust the send level to get the right amount of reverb you want for each track.

You can also control the reverb level from the reverb track globally by using the fader, or by adjusting the separate receives.
    This is pretty much how I do it too. There are a couple of answers to your question. If you want several instruments to sound like they're in the same space, you can set up one reverb on a bus and send those instruments to it. That way, if you make adjustments to the reverb the adjustments affect all the instruments. And like Greg said, it will save you processing power.

What it sound like you're hearing is a reverb setting that's too wet. That's where gekko zzed said to adjust the send level to the bus to get the amount of reverb that you want. The signal that you send to the bus will be mixed with the dry signal to get the sound you want. The less signal you send to the bus, the dryer the reverb will be. And vice versa.

aaronmcoleman is offline The truth is out there!
    This is pretty much what gekko said, but in Reaper one way to do it is drag the I/O (little green box above the fx) from each track into the I/O for the reverb bus. A little I/O volume knob will appear on the individual tracks this is where you can adjust how much of the dry track will be sent to the wet reverb bus. Or, in the I/O box on the bus, there will be a volume slider for each track, that will do the same thing. And as stated, you can control the entire reverb bus with the bus fader. Make sure all tracks are still going to the monitors and not just the bus, that way you have wet (bus) and dry (individual tracks).

arcadeko is offline Illuminatius Overlordious
    And I see nobody mentioned that a Reverb Car is way to small to hold all the Reverb. It had to be a bus...
    Mea Culpa -:- What Blog? - Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal...

bouldersoundguy is offline Modulator
    Are you using a post-fader aux send (or whatever they call it in Reaper) or assigning the channel output to the reverb bus? You want to do the former, not the latter.

aaronmcoleman is offline The truth is out there!
    Yeah, forgot to mention that. You'll probably want to click the "post fader" box (i think it'll be in the I/O on the reverb bus).

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Quote Originally Posted by arcadeko View Post
    And I see nobody mentioned that a Reverb Car is way to small to hold all the Reverb. It had to be a bus...
    I got it.......
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information