Why does the direct monitoring feature on my interface sound better than in my DAW?

reyobem

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. When I plug in my Behringer B1 condenser mic into the Scarlett and turn on direct monitoring, it sounds really great. When I use the mic in FL Studio, however, it sounds like it is being compressed and doesn't have that natural sound it does when listening through the direct monitor. It just sounds really "gained up" and artificial. I'm not sure if it's FL Studio, the Scarlett, or what. Can someone please help me? Thanks!

Eliminated the possibilities there's nothing extra goin on in 'FLstudio, maybe the latency delay playing with your hearing it?

Are you talking about monitoring in FL Studio or playing back a track you recorded in FL Studio? If the latter, then it could be as simple as when you are recording and monitoring you're not only hearing the monitored vocal, but you're also hearing the natural vibrations of your voice in your skull. This can cause the monitored vocal to sound a lot "warmer" and "natural" when in reality, if you could isolate the monitored vocal from your skull vibrations, it *should* sound the same as a recorded vocal.

It could also be that the track has more gain in FL Studio than in your direct monitoring setup - have you tried playing with the track gain in FL Studio?

guitarplayr82,

I mean monitoring in FL Studio. Even when I set the track volume in FL down to match the direct monitoring volume, It still has a completely different sound quality (more tinny or fake-sounding, for lack of a better word). I have no master limiter or any effects at all. I'm totally at a loss as to what is causing this! Btw, thanks for responding!

mixsit and playr82 probably have it.

Direct monitoring has no latency, so what you hear in your cans perfectly matches up with what you're hearing naturally from the room.
If you playback afterwards, or even monitor through the daw with the slight latency, it will never sound as full, because the live sound from the room doesn't match the playback sound anymore.

That's why you always want to playback a little section to be certain when you're trying to get a good sound on an instrument.

Thanks for your answer. I don't think this is the problem, though because I know for a fact the gain is higher in FL Studio than the direct monitor jack. Also, if I clap, it seems that FL Studio cuts the end of the clap off as if it is being compressed, while I can clear hear the clap reverb through direct monitoring. I know something is different I just don't know what's causing it. Also, I am outputting through the same Focusrite Scarlett as I'm recording from. I've tried outputting through my regular PC speakers as well as another interface, but with the same results. Hopefully someone knows something I don't! Thanks again

That thing with the end of the clap sounds more like a 'gate' problem than a compression problem.
Sorry can't help anymore than that, not familiar with your set up at all.

Back