Why do I need a condenser mic?

Condensers tend to be more accurate as they respond to transients more precisely. They tend also to add less coloration and get a broader range of freq's from a larger distance so you can include the natural ambience of the room giving you a full sound.
They are the prefered tool for vocals and acoustic guitars but that is a generalization.

and MadStrum, go to the mic forum and read the stickies at the top about FAQs and diaphragm stuff... this conversation has been had here in great depth.

A condenser can give you quieter background hiss/noise because you don't have to crank the amp as high to get a good recording level. You generally have to max out the gain to get a dynamic to really sing and on a lot of preamps that means hssssssssshhhhh. I hate stinkin' hiss.

Well I don't agree with that so much. Even on a decent pre, I can get great sounds from my 57..... with no hiss.

What type of music are you recording? I wouldn't worry about a condensor so much if you play loud/hard stuff. Its the quiet, acoustic and or lighter songs that you need to step up the clairity.

I'll never forget the first time I used my first large diaphram condensor.. I heard my girl friend licking her lips like 3 feet from the mic WAY too "loud and clear"

SpaceBoy

I read the stuff... I want one for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. Right now for acoustic guitar, if I record it using my dynamic mic it is way too soft for fingerpicking, and if I turn it up the hiss is there...
With a condensor mic, is it possible to get a cleaner vocal sound? As in, not so much hiss...

Also, do people use a combination of the both (dynamic cardoid and condensor) for micing vocal/acoustic guitar?

Looks like what I'm looking at is a small diaphagm condensor mic... any recommendations (not too ex.. i'm a student)...

Thanks.

Pier.

Both the MXL 603s and the Oktava MK012 are highly regarded around here. GC was blowing the Oktavas out at $100 a pair recently, not sure if that is still happening. You should be able to get a pair of the MXLs for not much more.

travis

MadStrum! said:
I read the stuff... I want one for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. Right now for acoustic guitar, if I record it using my dynamic mic it is way too soft for fingerpicking, and if I turn it up the hiss is there...
With a condensor mic, is it possible to get a cleaner vocal sound? As in, not so much hiss...

Also, do people use a combination of the both (dynamic cardoid and condensor) for micing vocal/acoustic guitar?

Looks like what I'm looking at is a small diaphagm condensor mic... any recommendations (not too ex.. i'm a student)...

Thanks.

Pier.

I don't think I'd do the small diaphragm for vocals. I've tried the MXL603 for vocals and ...not too great. Too easy to pop. I've used the 603 on the neck with a Sennheiser 441 on the bridge with great success. Yes, you need a decent pair of condensers and a very good (quiet, high gain) preamp to do soft fingerpicking. You've already experienced the "why?". You can get away with a 57 and a noisy preamp IF you're doing loud stuff that will be mixed with some other tracks but you're still going to stack that noise up pretty quickly. Think about maybe a MXL603 or Octava MC012 for acoustic and something like the MXL V67 for vocals...you can pair them for acoustic. Should be able to do it for around 200 bucks. Some here say you can do acoustic and vocals with the Studio Projects B1. You still really need a pair to do fingerpicking though. Good luck. Oh, and you can always use student grant and loan money to buy equipment and just skip school, for one semester at least. :D

I've actually had decent vocals recorded with a Neumann KM184. You do need a pop-filter though. I've had good ac. gtr recordings with the KM184 and my Soundelux U97. Wish I had another KM184 though. Unfortunately my wife and I just purchased a home this year, so no more gear for me for awhile :(

Also, the U97 in Omni, right up on the guitar's body sounds pretty good too. Omni means no proximity effect so you can get really close (even on a Martin dread)

StevenLindsey said:
I don't think I'd do the small diaphragm for vocals. I've tried the MXL603 for vocals and ...not too great. Too easy to pop. <snip>:D

Mad, I love my Studio Projects B1. It's low budget, (just like me!) and it does a great job. I'm sure it's not really the cats ass as far as mics go, but it's my first condensor mic, and it's amazing just to have one.

I got mine for $79 at www.8thstreet.com.

One thing to remember, though, is if you get a condensor, you need to have phantom power for the mic. So, if you don't have it already, that's more money to spend.

-Speedy

Back