Whiskey-soaked voice?

Go listen to ... the sound track to "Jesus Christ Superstar". That's him.
Deep Purple did much of the guitar work on that, but that's Ted Neeley's voice as JC.

Man, Neeley was just in town here (maybe he still is?) doing a revival of JCS. Pretty bizzarre seeing a 60-something year old with a wrinkled face playing JC. But he still has the voice.

G.

Deep Purple did much of the guitar work on that, but that's Ted Neeley's voice as JC.

Man, Neeley was just in town here (maybe he still is?) doing a revival of JCS. Pretty bizzarre seeing a 60-something year old with a wrinkled face playing JC. But he still has the voice.

G.
Sorry!!! You're right.

Ian Gillan played JC in the play, either on Broadway in the touring company or whatever.

Well, actually I just went back and checked my album (yes, I still have the vinyl :P ) and we're both half right. Ian *did* sing on the original broadway soundtrack, but Ted was on the movie soundtrack.

Was a time when I knew that without having to look. Do'h.

G.

Google Whisky voice, I know people who drink whisky regularly and they clam it makes their voice have a deeper raspy tone. Also I've been in a lot of different bands and one of our singers took a shot of J Daniel's before a couple of shows and he said his voice was more relaxed and sang better. As far as it being good for your voice I wouldn't think it would be long term. But how much stuff do we all do that is bad for us? Try it if it works ( even if it's just in your mind and makes you have more confidence ) its not crazy right? Good Luck.

Those that claim it's better with whiskey are simply referring to the reduced tension that comes from alcohol. There aren't any properties to whiskey itself that is helpful. However, if you think about it, there are some things you can understand about your voice:

1) If this helps, that means perhaps you have unwanted tension in your sound
2) Having to rely upon alcohol to perform well is not a good routine to get into and could lead to other issues
3) Alcohol is a diuretic, and when a person becomes dehydrated, the first thing to be affected are the vocal cords - and this can all happen without even feeling dehydrated.
4) Since I'm really into vocal health, obviously a rough/gruff sound is not something that I feel is healthy production unless you are careful to only use it for effect and not use it al the time. So the above things are only for those who want to have voices their whole lives, but if you prefer the rougher sound, just understand at some point this kind of vocal abuse will take its toll and you'll have a harder time producing any kind of tone.

Back