Where does copyright fit into your process?

BroKen_H

Re-member
I was just thinking about my process. Goes something like this:
I get an idea, put it into a piano or guitar and vocal demo.
Send the demo through a small panel of trusted croneys to make sure it's not a completely stupid idea and get initial lyric changes ironed out if they're Biblically wrong or whatever.
Record enough tracks to make it obvious what the song is going to be.
Send for copyright.
Iron out all the parts and get the recordings spot on.
Mix (this part is getting easier...thanks for all the help, everybody.)
And now, for the first time ever, I'm seeking mastering and going to try to release a 5 song EP (I'll be looking for some help with that, as well).
And I'm still unsure how to register all my stuff with BMI, or even where that should be in the process, but I'm hoping that's as easy as it was in '95 when I registered the first project that never even saw a single release (Can't believe I thought it sounded good then :))

I usually wait until I have at least a decent rough mix of a song, since now days I prefer to use the eCo online system, that way I just upload a copy of the audio mix file.
I set up an account with them when eCO was still in beta test stage, Since then I've submitted a bunch of songs that way...so it's easy, faster than mailing hard-copy, and cheaper.

IOW....you're not sending in a submission for critique...it just has to be a clear representation of the song. Heck, even if you change the arrangement around a bit or some of the lyrics, it's OK....it just needs to be the basic song, so you can even record a vocal w/guitar, and use that to register....then you can go record a full-blown production but the song is registered.
If you really need/want to register the full-blown production, like so no one can steal any sounds or do a cover of your arrangement, and not just the song itself...then wait until you have a mix of that and you copyright both at the same time.

I've only copyrighted (as in register with the US Copyright Office) when I've got the full CD mastered and ready for duplicaiton. It's $35 whether its one song or a whole collection.

I've only copyrighted (as in register with the US Copyright Office) when I've got the full CD mastered and ready for duplicaiton. It's $35 whether its one song or a whole collection.

This is what I do also. Or, if it has been a while between CD's, I'll do a collection every year. I'm putting together another CD, so I'll be registering a bunch of songs soon. Only want to pay the $35 once.

Copyright is automatic. So I save my dollars. Plus my songs are never going to be ripped off.

As far as I'm aware, by virtue of creating something, you own the copyright to it. Then it's just a case of having some sort of proof that you made it first. I know a lot of people post it to themselves and keep the envelope sealed.

As far as I'm aware, by virtue of creating something, you own the copyright to it.
Copyright accrues automatically once you render a creation into a tangible form (e.g sheet music, a recording)

Then it's just a case of having some sort of proof that you made it first. I know a lot of people post it to themselves and keep the envelope sealed.
Registering your creation with a copyright agency is a way of validating your ownership of it. In some jurisdictions, posting it to yourself ("poor man's copyright") is not accepted because of it being relatively easy to fake.

Registering your creation with a copyright agency is a way of validating your ownership of it. In some jurisdictions, posting it to yourself ("poor man's copyright") is not accepted because of it being relatively easy to fake.

This is the part I don't understand...If you put it on a public forum (such as homerecording.com) it is date stamped there. How could you fake the website's timestamp? I understand if you posted it to your own website, but if it's public and datestamped, how is that able to be faked? The legal system is not keeping up with the digital age, and for the most part, as it has been for quite some time, the legal system exists to serve the legal system. :(

OTOH, $35 a year to copyright what you've compiled during the year is not a bad deal...

This is the part I don't understand...If you put it on a public forum (such as homerecording.com) it is date stamped there. How could you fake the website's timestamp? I understand if you posted it to your own website, but if it's public and datestamped, how is that able to be faked? The legal system is not keeping up with the digital age, and for the most part, as it has been for quite some time, the legal system exists to serve the legal system. :(

OTOH, $35 a year to copyright what you've compiled during the year is not a bad deal...

We have an HR member who is a copyright lawyer, so he is the best person to answer this.

Time stamping is important because through it you can show your work predates someone else's, and negates a plagiarism allegation.

But time-stamping aside, you still need to be able to demonstrate that it is actually your work.

As far as I'm aware, by virtue of creating something, you own the copyright to it. Then it's just a case of having some sort of proof that you made it first. I know a lot of people post it to themselves and keep the envelope sealed.

Creation = copyright. Registration with the copyright office = proof of copyright. Mailing stuff to yourself as proof is a myth and will not hold up in court.

Copyright is automatic. So I save my dollars. Plus my songs are never going to be ripped off.

Copyright accrues automatically once you render a creation into a tangible form (e.g sheet music, a recording)

Look at all these people outside the USA with their "let's not favor the corporations who can afford entertainment lawyers" court systems! :D

From what I gather, in the US, registering your copyright is the only way to ensure that your copyright is secure. It is only ~$35 to register a batch of songs, so you might as well.
If your intent is to copyright the songwriting, you can copyright it as soon as you have some distinct version of the song written. (I think they'll even let you upload sheet music now)
If your intent is to copyright the recording, you'll need to wait until it's finished.

I normally copyright a collection of songs on an audio CD perhaps once every year or two (depending on how often I shop my material to publishers, etc.)

If a publisher expresses interest in a given song, I will then copyright that song separately (vs. part of a collection)

Look at all these people outside the USA with their "let's not favor the corporations who can afford entertainment lawyers" court systems! :D

Hey . . . don't include me in that! I advocate registering your copyright properly if you are worried about being plagiarised.

Back