Where can I find a multitrack recorder accessible to blind users?

sweetji

Hello.

I'm a music composer and theorist and I'm also very much interested in things related to musical acoustics. Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I hope my question can possibly be forwarded if necessary.

Just because I'm blind, my current life is getting difficult. Back in the '90s, my former composition teacher bought me a 4-track tape recorder and later a minidisc recorder. The absolutely great advantage of these machines was that just by touching the panel, I knew everything I wanted to (the levels and gains of the inputs, the panning for each track, the tracks currently selected for recording, the effect send levels, etc.). Also, since it was possible to record the same signal as the one coming from the stereo mixdown, bouncing tracks was very intuitive.
Unfortunately, analog tapes introduce audible noise while minidiscs use lossy compression (which is often surprisingly audible as well). So I was thinking about buying a new piece of equipment. I'm not so much concerned about portability but rather about having faders or rotary knobs for levels and panning and about doing all the necessary things even if I don't know what's on the display. And I'm definitely comfortable with 8 tracks played back simultaneously (I never needed more). But I'm getting stuck for several reasons. That's why I would highly appreciate your advice here.

#1. Tascam DP-32SD can allegedly convert individual tracks from its internal format to Wav format but I have no idea whether the internal format uses any data compression on the sound (which may degrade the quality) and I haven't found any web resource discussing this.
#2. Zoom R16 seems to use some "not-so-intuitive" method for panning mono tracks or for re-recording parts of a track (for fixing mistakes, for example). Since I don't know anyone who has this particular unit, I can't find out whether I might possibly learn to do it by heart even if I can't look at what the display says. This is crucial information for me since I've already come across one seemingly simple stereo recorder which even made it impossible for me to set the recording level without someone else helping me (goodness, such a basic task being inaccessible to a blind user).
#3. Instead of having a possibility to record the "Stereo out" while playing back, both aforementioned models seem to use a special procedure for bouncing tracks and, again, I can't verify if this could possibly be learnt step-by-step without having an idea what the display says.
#4. Only a few models (of those I've read about so far) seem to offer higher recording sampling rates than 44.1kHz. The CD sample rate may be suitable for playback but not necessarily for post-processing in a sound editor, especially for sounds like cymbals or vocals or instruments with sharp timbres. Even 48kHz can sometimes be a good improvement over 44.1.
#5. When I think about a completely different approach involving a laptop and some dedicated software, I run into two serious issues:
--- None of the programs I've read about (which run under 64-bit Win7) seem to manage all the "basic" tasks entirely from the PC keyboard (i.e. without one single mouse click), which renders them almost inaccessible for someone who uses speech synthesizers to read everything (similarly to the inaccessible hardware recorder, these programs often allow to change track panning or volumes or "rec on/off" with the mouse only). Even worse, some programs only label their buttons with pictures instead of text labels, which is an absolute disaster for a screen-reader user because the speech engine can't then be customized appropriately to pronounce what it's supposed to and when it's supposed to.
--- If one is unlucky enough to get tiny segments of sound being cut out or repeated while recording (which seems to happen to many people who use external soundcards with their laptops), this is often unexpectedly hard to fix, especially when one doesn't have a clue which sound cards or sound card drivers are more reliable than others.
For these reasons, I'd still prefer a standalone single-purpose machine for my multitracking rather than having hundreds of needless things running in the background for purposes completely unrelated to that. But I have absolutely no idea which particular piece of equipment could be usable for me (the accessibility seems to be the main issue here). If someone thinks that many blind people are good musicians, then I'd expect someone else could offer them accessible pieces of hardware. And I still believe this kind of "someone else" must be out there somewhere (just extremely hard to find).

Thank you very very much for any suggestions. I've been trying to deal with this for something like 5 years and I still haven't found anyone who could answer my question.

Regarding the software approach: have you considered using a MIDI control surface? They're set up to mimic the feel of a console or mixer, but they interface with your DAW software and provide controls for common tasks like faders, panning, mute, solo, and transport. For the most part, they're not cheap, but it would be a good way to combine the power and flexibility of a software setup with the tactile feel and feedback of a mixing desk.

As far as the other problem that you mentioned about a software approach, there are a few common causes for audio dropouts and glitches. For the most part they're easily remedied. Choosing an audio interface with good drivers, and having a computer with at least a little horsepower behind it are pretty good starting points for fixing such issues. There are also things you can do to optimize your computer for use in an audio setting. Several fellows here are using pretty old hardware and software, and they're getting along fine.

As far as using a computer is concerned, a lot of us here use Reaper as our DAW. I googled "reaper accessibility" and found a link that it might be worth your while checking out.

Reaper plugins are generally called "Rea......." and there was something called ReaAccess that probably helped the vision impaired - however it seems like the developer has run off somewhere... but as far as I can tell, you can still actually get the plug in.

Anyway, here's the link - they appear to have an amusingly named "Reapers Without Peepers" mailing list - so clearly they're thinking about this issue. You might find some solutions, or help, on that mailing list, maybe.

ReaAccess: change is a-coming...

I'm going to assume you've already tried googling "software name accessibility" for things like Cubase and ProTools etc. to see what they have available.

Good luck.:cool:

Thanks for your suggestion. Let me ask you a few things regarding what you've said.
-- When you're talking about watching for good drivers, do you have good experience with any particular sound cards? Or do you have some sort of personal method for recognizing which ones are reliable enough in this regard?
-- Do you know about a web article or an online "tutorial" which would explain what one should be careful about and also what all the tasks are which such an optimization may consist of?
-- As to what I said earlier about Tascam DP-32SD, if even the user's manual doesn't say whether its internal audio format is compressed or not, do you have an idea who might possibly give me an answer to that question?

I'm not sure what type of music you're wanting to record or how many tracks you'll need, but here are a few thoughts:

I owned a Tascam DP-24, and I'm fairly certain that you can select the resolution you want --- some sort of compression for longer record times, or no compression (full resolution wav files) for full quality. It's very easy to use with lots of knobs that control parameters like EQ, effect send, etc. I think the main issue you may have would be navigating the menu functions, for loading songs or selecting the built-in effects, etc.

What type of music and instrumentation are you wanting to record?

Edit: I think I may be wrong about the DP-24. I just checked the manual, and I don't see anything about selecting the recording resolution. However, I know that when I exported the files to my computer on one project, they were the same size and type (wav) as what I use with Reaper (a computer-based DAW). So I'm pretty sure there's no data compression being applied, but I can't say for certain.

Thanks a lot for your hints.

Well, since I play either piano or electronic keyboards or various flutes, I would imagine recording the output of the keyboard to tracks 1 and 2 (for left and right) and then adding, one by one, several mono layers of flutes or other acoustic instruments or possibly my vocals (I only sing rarely but I'd like to change that one day). The reason why I would prefer flutes or vocals to be mono tracks rather than stereo is that I often experiment heavily with panning for these kinds of instruments and therefore there wouldn't be too much of a point in recording it in stereo when the track may well have ended being panned almost entirely to the left or right. As I said, I never needed more than 8 simultaneous tracks of playback but I was a bit concerned about the dedicated procedure used for bouncing, which I currently have no way of testing (since I don't know anyone who has this unit).

As far as going through menus is concerned, this usually depends on whether the machine always lands on the same menu item when you, for example, turn it off and then on again and then open the menu. If the machine can always land on the same menu item right after invoking the menu without me having to turn it all off and on again, then it's even easier to learn the necessary steps. You just remember that "this thing" is the second in the list or "that thing" is the fourth in the list and so on. Also, if going all the way down doesn't wrap around back to the first item or if going all the way up doesn't wrap around to the last item, then it's even easier still because you can then say that "that thing" is the next-to-last item, for example.

BTW, the documentation for the DP-32SD indicates that many things can be selected by either the data weel or the cursor keys. That gives me hope that most of the important things may be accessible for me. I'm not sure if there something in the DP-32SD which can only be done by the data wheel (I haven't read the manual that thoroughly). If there is, then that one thing may pose a problem. In that case I hope it's not something awfully important which I should do very often.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that, on the DP-24, the menus did not continuously scroll through. I'm pretty sure they stopped once you reached the last option, so that should work in your favor.

Just out of curiosity ... you've mentioned the DP-32SD several times but not the DP-24SD. Is there a reason? The DP-24SD is cheaper, yet it still has 24 tracks (more than enough). Also, the 24SD has 12 mono faders and 6 stereo faders, whereas the 32SD only has 8 mono faders and 12 stereo faders. I don't know about you, but I prefer more mono faders myself.

You mentioned that you did some work on 4-track tape back in the day. Was that a R2R format or cassette format? Also, do you still have any outboard signal processors from that period that you'll want to use with your new recorder?

Well, having thought about this a few weeks ago, I think that I actually chose the DP-32SD because I knew about one particular shop (located where I come from -- i.e. the Czech Republic) which still sells this unit. Also, I haven't read the documentation for the DP-24 but I'm not sure whether the DP-24 can actually record at 48kHz which I may well do from time to time. I'm also not sure whether the DP-24 would allow the two possible ways of navigating the menus -- i.e. to use the buttons instead of the data wheel.
Regarding my earlier recordings, those were on CRO2 audio cassettes. The separate effect unit which I used was somewhat noisy, even for those early expectations, and I'm currently not thinking too much about how exactly I'm going to deal with applying effects. What I sometimes did was to record some tracks into an ordinary "2-track" sound editor in Windows (some of them are pretty accessible with screen readers, unlike the multitrack ones) and then I applied different set of effects to one wave file than to another. Of course, if I get rich one day:-)-D), I may buy a powerful effect unit but I'm afraid that the particular effect that I admired back on my (no longer working) SB Live 1024 is so rare that no recent hardware effect unit will have that (I'm talking about the so-called "frequency shifter" or "single-sideband modulation" which shifts the entire frequency range linearly rather than exponentially, resulting in changing the perceived intervals between the audible pitches).

sweetji,

I have just sent a message to an acquaintance of mine who is a very experienced recording engineer and also blind. He will most likely have some solid suggestions for me to pass on to you. Check back here soon.

bouldersoundguy

I just had a long conversation with my blind friend about all sorts of things including accessible recording. He uses several setups, analog tape, Mackie SDR and a computer with Adobe Audition. He says that Audition is very accessible in almost every way, and it can be controlled by MIDI or by custom key commands. The metering is one exception. But a possible workaround for that is to have a calibrated monitoring arrangement where you would set your recording levels by ear. Reference audio samples of known peak and average levels could be used to keep it consistent. Recording in 24 bit provides enough dynamic range to make this a workable system. You may need help getting it set up and it would take some time to learn it all, but then you should be able to do just about anything you need to do.

I also discussed the program Reaper with him. He's going to download it and try it out. If it's accessible he'll let me know and I'll pass on the info here.

If you need to contact him directly I can PM you his email address.

This link..Music Technology & Special Needs: Part 2

is to a second of two articles in sound on sound magazine which deals with music making for people with special needs. I am sure there is some information or contact there that will help you.

Many years ago there was a recording engineer and technical writer, Angus McKenzie who was blind but you would never have guessed from the quality and depth of his writing in Hi Fi News and Studio Sound. He had a level meter made for him that gave out different tones for different decibel voltage levels. I have no idea if the instrument was ever commercially developed.

Having recently lost much of the sight in my left eye (wet ARMD) I have every respect for your "can do" attitude! I am very lucky that I passed the DVLA test and am still allowed to drive.

Dave.

Meant to say (won't edit, site is playing me silly buggers again!).

If you did need a very, very stable, very low latency interface check out the Native Instruments Komplete Audio six. Unless that is you DO become rich when you can get an RME UCX!

Dave.

He had a level meter made for him that gave out different tones for different decibel voltage levels. I have no idea if the instrument was ever commercially developed.

My friend has one of those, built for him by a friend.

---------- Update ----------

He recommends a controller for easier access to many functions.

Back