What's with the pitch shift in the "Hammond" synth patches?

mixsit

In my hole in the wall studio, it's a rare occasion when I get to see a real C or B3 come in. Not being keyboard orientated myself, I'm not up on all the various brands of synths, nor how to program them.
But invariably, most of them seem to have way too much pitch shift going on in the Lesley patches. What often sounds at first to be a useable sound ends up making me want to bury the thing in the mix. Most of the time the player can't, or doesn't want to take the time to fix it (if it can be fixed?).
What I don't understand is why do they make them sound that way? To be blunt, to my ear it sucks big time. In all the years I've been on stages with Hammond organ, or listened to them from a near or distant prospective, this has little resemblance with what a lesley does. A real letdown generally.
Perhaps an option would be if a Lesely could be configured to take a line-in, and have a speed switch for the player. But we would still have to get in and remove the damned modulation.
Any suggestions?
Wayne

I know I've seen rotating Leslie type speakers for use with guitar and keyboards. They were actually fully enclosed with internal mics so you could use it like an FX processor. Cant remember who made it though.

Back