What's This Noise?

It totally makes sense!!! LMAO!

Wait Sovtek makes the tubes that make the best tone... No collusion!!! Haha!

It does.. Doesn't it! :p

... For basic consumer electrical stuff, you want that isolated and not finding 'you' as the best path. If there is no ground, then you could be the next sad news story..

I have been that "best path" before... threw me 25ft across the room.. not a good thing.

Things like that don't just go away on their own. Whatever it was, it might come back. However simple the cause was, you should look into it. An easy thing to do is get one of those outlet testers. It plugs into each outlet and tests that outlet for hot and neutral wired correctly and if the ground wire is connected.

If the hot and neutral are reversed, the outlet will still work, but it's not a good thing for digital stuff, hums and buzzes. And of course, if the ground wire isn't connected, that's where the safety issue comes in.

I was also wondering, when you said you recorded vocals before the buzz started. When you explained how you switched the XLR plug from input one to input two and back again, I don't know if you mentioned turning the phantom power off or not. I may have missed it. That could have caused the buzz. Just trying to cover all of the possibilities.

Power Gear 3 Wire Receptacle Tester, Outlet Tester, 6 Visual Indications, Light Indicator, UL Listed, Yellow, 50542 - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com

just because it's not the same outlet or in a different room doesn't mean your recording room outlets are dedicated to that one room. they could both be wired together going to the same breaker in your electrical panel. i've done residential wiring for 30 years and believe me,.. sometimes 3 bedroom outlets will be wired to one breaker. it's not my work but the work of others that i see this. i wired my own house and in the 10x10 bedroom i record in there are 3 different dedicated circuits in that one room and each ones ground is isolated.

just because it's not the same outlet or in a different room doesn't mean your recording room outlets are dedicated to that one room. they could both be wired together going to the same breaker in your electrical panel. i've done residential wiring for 30 years and believe me,.. sometimes 3 bedroom outlets will be wired to one breaker. it's not my work but the work of others that i see this. i wired my own house and in the 10x10 bedroom i record in there are 3 different dedicated circuits in that one room and each ones ground is isolated.

Hence the name sparky? :)

Hell, I've seen 3 bedrooms and a garage all wired to the GFI in the upstairs bathroom! Yikes!

Yeah, I upgraded my panel and ran two isolated ground circuits in my studio. Best improvement to studio aside from stopping the foundation walls from caving in. That is another story tho...

Hence the name sparky? :)

Hell, I've seen 3 bedrooms and a garage all wired to the GFI in the upstairs bathroom! Yikes!

Yeah, I upgraded my panel and ran two isolated ground circuits in my studio. Best improvement to studio aside from stopping the foundation walls from caving in. That is another story tho...

when I moved into my present house in 1981 (built in 1935) I found square nails, slat and lath walls, original 10 foot ceilings, actual 2X4 lumber and every wall outlet in the house wired to one breaker. On top of that, not one wire nut in the place, with old electrical tape covering wires that were twisted together with pliers. It was a scary situation and I'm still wondering how it passed electrical code before I bought the house.

But getting to things being on the same breaker...if you find a window AC unit or your refrigerator on the same breaker as your expensive digital equipment, you need to change that, and fast. Each time those compressors come on or turn off, that line gets a surge of current that his hitting your digital chips like a hammer. Also, well made power strips with surge suppressors on them, is always a good idea.

Last edited:
Back