Whats the next step for my studio?

stephenmodel

Ok So i got plenty of mics now, from some SM57, an RE20, decent overheads and a bunch inbetween. I have a tascam us-2000 and using reaper. My monitors are mackies mr5mk2. I was just wondering where to go next.

I am recording my full band so i am think more generic stuff. I am interested in getting some rack gear like an Art ProChannel or an ART PRO VLA II. I was think that the VLA might be nice because my bassist can use it for here live shows as well, compresssor and such?

Or should i use the 300 bucks i have saved on sound reinforcement for the basement studio we have. We currently have nothing in that regards.

What do you guys think.

Hey there.
If you need something, you'll know about it.
I'd say room treatment is a good idea, depending on the room of course.
It's the thing that most people (myself included) over look and never seem to have the budget for.

The rack hardware route is interesting; Some will say there's nothing like it, other's will say why bother in this day and age?
Opinion aside, I glanced at your us2000 and it seems it only has two inserts, so be aware of the limitation there.
Unless I've overlooked something, you'd only be able to use rack hardware on two channels, unless you pick up standalone preamps too.

Are you kitted out with all the 'cheap' things that people forget? Headphones, headphone amps, stands, mic clips, leads, pop filters, etc?

I am aware of the 2 inserts. I was think over the compressor on the drums buss and maybe as the final mix. I have all the small stuff like headphones, headphone amps, stands and that stuff. I need a good set of headphones for vocal recording but since i know i need them, and need them badly, that is not part of the budget i have now.

considering that my studio basement is complete cheap paneling i am thinking it might be better to just through up bass traps and other sound reinforcement things.

But outboard gear is so much more exciting :P

I am thinking it might be better to just through up bass traps and other sound reinforcement things.

But outboard gear is so much more exciting :P

Both of those points are probably true, Stephen.

There's a whole forum dedicated to room treatment here, so have a browse through the Stickies there and see how you get on.
I can't help with it, but there are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced chaps there.

Best of luck.

Back