What's the deal with the Tape button?

Hello,

I only have experience with little mixers, but I was recently given a Yamaha 02R.
I have 24 channels/faders. Each channel has an 'ON', 'SEL', and 'Tape' button. I understand the 1st two, but what does that confounded 'Tape' button do? Is there routing I don't understand?
Thanks,
-jaimie

I am not certain, but this is my best guess.

Studio mixers usually have channel inputs and outputs to create a recording loop. That is, each channel has a direct out (split) to send the incoming mic signal to a tape machine. The return (playback) signal from the tape machine gets plugged into the same mixer channel via a tape input jack. However, you don't want both (mic and tape) channel inputs to be live at the same time, thus, you need a button to select which channel input will be sent through the channel. When pressed, the TAPE button mutes the mic input and activates the Tape playback input.

Check to see if your O2R has tape inputs on each channel.

Good idea, but I don't think that's it. I do have Insert I/O on the 1st 8 channels, however I have tape buttons for all 24 channels. The Tape buttons do not seem to have any effect on the Insert. Plus, I can have Tape active at the same time as the Mic input.

Thanks for the input Beerhunter. I know they're probably returns, but returns from where? I've read the manual cover to cover, but I must be missing something. There's no hole in the back to plug in a Tape input.

Didn't we already cover this in another thread...???

You need the cards for the Tape Inputs.

We did, but it seems like everyone is giving their 'best guess' whereas I'm looking for actual information. Crowd sourcing only works if the crowd size is big enough to yield results.

Back