whats the advantage of a non digital mixer when working with digital software?

wallsstreet

whats the advantage of a non digital mixer (mackie, behringer or what ever)when working with digital software?

Thanks,
Tyruse

well, before i got my hands on cubase SX, i was pretty much not digital. i bought a Behringer MX 2004 mixer, with 8 mic ins and pre's. since i didn't have mulit track capibility in he begining, i would have to do all my eq with a shitty 3 band eq and do my levels on there. trust me, this is the shittiest way ever.

now, since i have an M-Audio, i can multi track. So i basically just use it for the Mic pre's. i don't really touch the faders or eq anymore, but it works for now until i can afford some actual Pre amps to use. pretty ghetto none the less.

The fact that you can use microphones through the preamp and phantom power. That you can sum signals together. That you can route signals around. Because mixers look cool. :)

Are you just talking about running the tracks from the software then mixing down via the analoge mixer back into the computer or a 2-track? That adds more a/d d/a conversions which dosent help. You could do it for summing the tracks. But if you're only using stuff like mackie or Behringer I'd just stay digital.

An analogue mixer can be useful but I wouldn't say it was an advantage except if the preamps in your converter aren't very good at high gain. In that case, if you've already got a mixer with better preamps you can use that. If you don't have a mixer already, that money would be better spent on standalone preamps or a better converter.

Having said that, a mixer is useful. I use my mixer to EQ the input and output of my outboard reverbs. I'll sometimes use it to submix some inputs down to stereo if I'm running short of inputs on the DAW.

Some people prefer the sound of mixing on an analog mixer. Though, I think the quality of a budget mixer probably wouldn't match upto the sound of doing it digital, But try it... see what you think :)

Back