with what recording a butchers shop noise?

Su7

Hi living next to the butcher shop makes me nuts. 2 years ago, there was not a big noise but something has to be changed in there, so it is abnormal loud in my flat. I want to record that noise, I have tried with my handy but had not acceptable results. I am not a technic freak or so I dont have any clue. There are so mics to use with a handy, are they ok? there are also mobile recorder, which are more expensive like 100 Euro. Which one will do the job? the noises is like the one you hear in the gym when they throw the weights on the floor, so very deep hollow vibrating sound.

so I will stand next to the butcher shop close to their wall, they also have grids for air. There I will put the mic. It has to be a handy thing, not so tricky, no cables or mess. I can connect the mic with my tablet or my phone. Any advice?
thanks in advance

If the shop was there before you, I think you should consider new living arrangements.

I'm not being flippant - but if you are having realissues recording the noise - for us, or possible action, then surely it isn't a problem. If the mics cannot record it, how loud is it? Are you chasing your tail here? A noise so annoying it is making itself into an issue that it isn't? If the noise spoils recordings that is bad - and probably expensive to fix, but if it annoys you and doesn't record, that's different.

It is possible that it's structure born and very low frequency, so you are feeling it, not hearing it?

hi, of course you can hear it when I record, but it is more dull. For example when I am in the living room, I can hear the clock ticking well, but it is NOT on the recording. This is what my handy does, maybe because it is not made for recording?

i wont leave my flat without fighting for my rights. @Rob you can hear it, although I use ear plugs. So it makes you wake up and doesnt let you sleep anymore, its not me beeing sensitive. And sure it comes with vibrating you can feel it also.

So any recommendations to my entire question?

thanks

First thing I'd do is get one of the third octave phone analyser apps - they're rather good at hearing what you can't - and seeing a big hump will give you a clue where the problem is. However - the thing about it being difficult to record suggests that something else is going on. Could you have extra sensitivity to frequencies just where the noise is? Have a look at the phone app and they really do work. They're not accurate enough for court type use. They will, however, show you stuff that is tricky to assess. Here, I have a air con outlet and 37.5Hz on the display pulses up and down, but I can't hear it. In fact, from 2K down there is a really high noise floor, 2K and above much, much less.

If you want to record the noise, then a condenser with a really wide frequency response will be best - but apart from being 'there', it's not much use. I don't know where you are, but your local authority might have powers, or not - but they will want to use their own calibrated devices to measure it if they are to take action. Do remember that the impact to you, permanently there in the quiet hours can appear to be severe, while somebody coming in from the street could hear silence?

i wont leave my flat without fighting for my rights.

Which rights would they be?
How long has that butcher shop business been there...before yo moved in...?
You might as well complain about the noise in the street from the cars..etc.

Well...you can become a vegan...maybe the shop will close down. :D ;)

Call the police when you are hearing the noise, and let them be your witnesses...instead of trying to record the noise.

Anyway...in case you would rather record it...
...I think a Blumlein array...get some nice multi-pattern AKG 414 condenser mics, and place the array at the far point...
...and then couple of Neumann U87 mics up close,...
...and of course, a high-gain quad channel pre for the 4 mics...cranked.

That should pic up ant farts.

thank you Rob, much appreciated. If I can manage the recording, I will post a video, and u and others can tell if I am sensitive or if this is loud. It is like a wrecking ball hitting my wall. Sleeping in the kitchen was same loud. I think in this circumstances no human would accept that noise, so I am even much more tolerant than others. It has been now 2 years, and I can handle it anymore.

@miroslav I have the right to live in peace in my flat, which I do pay rent. I dont have to leave with the butchers shop in my bedroom. I know people like you, just giving advice to buy so much expensive staff, that they cant afford. You just want to see people suffering. You absolutely know that they have to be cheaper ways to get a adequate recording/samle.

By the way, what is this 'handy' exactally. The little hand held 'zoom recorders for example I am quite sure in my experience go low and high enough, and are quiet enough to do this just fine.
That's not to say if this is really low freq stuff-- that doesn't mean some tiny speaker is going to reproduce it though.

@miroslav I have the right to live in peace in my flat, which I do pay rent. I dont have to leave with the butchers shop in my bedroom. I know people like you, just giving advice to buy so much expensive staff, that they cant afford. You just want to see people suffering. You absolutely know that they have to be cheaper ways to get a adequate recording/samle.

:D

You need to get a sense of humor...I was joking about the expensive recording equipment.

Your problems is NOT about what equipment to use to record the noise...it's a question of what that law is and what that area/building is zoned for. That is why I said just call the police and have them deal with it. If the noise is outside of the allowed limits and the zoning code for that area...the police will be able to intervene for you. They may very well also have a decibel meter to measure noise when neighbors have justifiable complaints.

IOW...if you move into an apartment next door to a construction site...you can't very well then complain about the noise if that construction site was there before you, and if the area is zoned for commercial business and meets the noise codes.
Like...what about the right of that butcher shop to conduct their business...?...where they there long before you, and is that a commercial zoned building/area?

If you haven't figured any of that out after 2 years of living there...well...I guess you'll keep on suffering.

oh gosh..the butcher shop is in the building next to mine. So it is in the basement. I am living in the adjacent building in the last floor. So can you imagine the distance? I dont know how they handle it in the us or uk, but the police here wont witness to something like this, neither will they come. But I will ask, I actually have nothing to loose anymore. There is no help here..u should not judge me unless you suffer like this in your flat. You dont know what I am going through

oh gosh..the butcher shop is in the building next to mine. So it is in the basement. I am living in the adjacent building in the last floor. So can you imagine the distance? I dont know how they handle it in the us or uk, but the police here wont witness to something like this, neither will they come. But I will ask, I actually have nothing to loose anymore. There is no help here..u should not judge me unless you suffer like this in your flat. You dont know what I am going through

Trust me...I would not suffer like that for 2 years.
If the butcher shop has always been there....I would have move out a long time ago, because obviously the butcher shop is not going to move.

So...if you say the police will not get involved...what are you going to accomplish by recording the noise...???
I would think the only way to deal with it is legally...if you can...but here in the USA...the first step would be to make an official complaint, and for that, calling the police at 2AM when the noise is that loud that it's keeping you awake...would be the best way to start the complaint process.
The police make a report...then you get a lawyer and you take it to court.

But really....2 years...and you're finally now looking to record the noise so you can do what....?...take to the butcher shop and show them how loud it is...?...or....?

What country are you living in where the police won't get involved with loud noises disturbing the peace...?

Oh my god! This reminds me of Los Angeles.
There was one street, that since the beginning of time had music stores downstairs and shitty apartments upstairs.
Sure, the music stores made some noise, but only during normal business hours.

The tenants were mostly musicians who didn't bitch about the noise in the daytime as it was part of the package to have cheap rent.

The whole block was music stores. They paid the bulk of the rent on the block.

That whole neighborhood is now ruined.
Overpriced, with crap trendy stores and finding a parking space is a thing of the past.

The owners kicked out the music stores once the leases ran out and refuse to rent to anything music related.

Now its just trendy used clothing stores selling stuff you can get at goodwill, but is so artfully displayed and with insane prices.

What ruined it? Yuppie social justice warriors clamouring about their 'rights'

It started out innocent enough, they moved in, paid the rent, live and let live right?
Then they started bitching, then banded together, bitched some more.

It was an unrelenting attack on the music stores, because they had 'rights'

The outcome was a piece of Hollywood's history is now forever gone, and rents in that neighbohood are crazy.

Sure everyone has rights, but what about the rights of those there before you? What about the rights of someone else to make a living and feed their families?

If that butcher shop was there before you and you dont like living next to it, move. They have a right to a make a living, and provide a needed service to the community.

Back