What recording books do you suggest?

Godsguitarist73

Hello! We're most likely are about to start doing our own recordings soon and I was wondering what book suggestions you might have. I know most of the basic basics of recordings and music, but I guess I'm looking for something that will give insight a little more advanced than "4-track means that there are 4 seperate tracks that you can record to" if that makes any sense. ;) I would like to ultimately like to have something that will get my feet wet and possibly give me enough info to produce a CD that sounds decent. I will probably be working with a MOTU 828 (possibly an MKII, just depends) and possibly a Baby HUI. Thanks!

Brandon <><

"recording"

theres a REALLY good magazine you can find at most music stores or instrument stores. its simply called "recording" it tells you a LOT about recording and its really cheap. i learned a lot from it, i definatly suggest it.

I will definitely look into that. Right now I'm looking at getting Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook and one other recording book, but I may just get a subscription to a magazine and a book. I would like to have at least one book for reference. I thought about getting "The Mixing Engineers Handbook", I think it is. I'm not sure, tho. Maybe this book and another general reference book? I'm at a total loss... lol. Anyways, any and all input is welcomed. :)

Brandon <><

There are some standard text books out there that are great and come highly recommended, such as Modern Recording Techiques-Huber and Runstein (I believe) , but honestly this site is as good if not better than any book I've ever seen...
There's a lot to be said for people making and/or avoiding real world "mistakes" with a wide varity of gear. (I don't know if Studiocovers.com is back up yet, but it rules too and has plenty of info in article format. (Which helps narrow the research down)

BTW-Welcome to the bbs
:)

Yamaha's book is really tech-oriented with a lot of formulas and such. Modern Recording Techniques is much better for the beginner, more ready-to-use info. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for all of your replies. I will check tapeop out. I actually just found out that I'm going to have to get a new crossover, so that'll come first, but I'll probably get some books after Christmas or sometime there-abouts. :) Thanks again for your replies and I'll check out your page, blue bear. I've actually been on the boards since Dec. 2000, but I lost my password and I don't have access anymore to the email account, so I can't get back into it. Oh well... heh. Anyways, thanks again!

Brandon <><

Flanneljammies....

Thanks for the info on Tape Op.... subscribing was pretty simple. Looking forward to my first issue!

Godsguitarist73 said:
Hello! We're most likely are about to start doing our own recordings soon and I was wondering what book suggestions you might have. I know most of the basic basics of recordings and music, but I guess I'm looking for something that will give insight a little more advanced than "4-track means that there are 4 seperate tracks that you can record to" if that makes any sense. ;) I would like to ultimately like to have something that will get my feet wet and possibly give me enough info to produce a CD that sounds decent. I will probably be working with a MOTU 828 (possibly an MKII, just depends) and possibly a Baby HUI. Thanks!

Brandon <><

Brandon,

Here's a couple of previous posts of mine glued together that describe an excellent book and an excellent *free* online resource for you, that seem to be exactly what you're after....

1. Hey! I just wanted to let people know that I found *exactly* what I needed and was looking for!! I won't bore you with the details, but after looking at tons of free and pay options, I ended up getting the following book for $90.00 (US) and it is exactly what I was looking for!! It not only has all the info I need, but it also lays it out in such a way as to really make it understandable and interesting! ...Even the super-geeky-more-info-than-I-was-looking-for stuff!

"Total Recording" By David Moulton
http://www.moultonlabs.com/total.htm

(Thanks to Cyrokk for originally pointing me towards this book)

2. FYI: I have found a great "free* online resource via one of the links suggested by Son Of Mixerman, which is a number of course topics based on the "Audio Pro Home Recording Course" series by Bill Gibson. All you have to do is register, and you can log in for free and access all the lessons... Great stuff, tons of info and sound samples!

Here's the link: http://www.artistpro.com/CourseList.cfm

Check 'em both out!!

-Mr. Moon

Hey Mr. Moon! I greatly appreciate you posting those. I'll definitely be checking them out. :) The free one is a little more appealing right now... lol... but I'll check them both out. :) Thanks again to all!!

Brandon <><

Back