What noise is this?

seanjosh

Hello friends,
This is my first recording at home, so glad that i finally have my own simple recording gear.

I cover a song. Link is below:
Josh Groban - Broken Vow (Cover).mp3 - GoogleÂ*Drive

There is a very disturbing noise. I don't know what noise is that. Is it electrical noise? (If yes, how can i perform grounding technique while on the 5th floor apartment?) I hope i can find solution for that problem.

Please someone help me. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Did you have Rice Krispies in the vocal booth?

Sorry, seriously, you're getting a crackle from somewhere. I don't think it's a grounding problem. Doesn't sound like clipping. Maybe a bad cap in the mike? Not sure, but assuming it's in the microphone (only crackles when you sing). Have you got another to swap out and try? If you get the same noise, we might have to go downstream....bad cable, bad Phantom supply, bad something in the mike chain.

You sure it's not a driver issue? I get that almost exact crackle sometimes when cubase attempts to load the Tascam driver on my interface. It does the usual bing-bong when plugged in, but the driver seemed to not load properly. 90% of the time it would be fine, but sometimes that noise happened. Updating the Tascam driver cured the problem.

You don't say what your system is, so that's my best guess.

Do you hear that while playing in your DAW? Or is it just after export?

Much more precise info as to your recording chain and gear is necessary to give proper insight.

You sure it's not a driver issue? I get that almost exact crackle sometimes when cubase attempts to load the Tascam driver on my interface. It does the usual bing-bong when plugged in, but the driver seemed to not load properly. 90% of the time it would be fine, but sometimes that noise happened. Updating the Tascam driver cured the problem.

You don't say what your system is, so that's my best guess.

I use focusrite 2i2, adobe audition 5.5, and windows 8.1. I'll try to search for updated driver then. :) yesterday, i wanted to install my gear on another laptop to figure out if there is any problem with existing laptop, but the adobe didn't record/play anything, failed experiment.. Hahaha.. :( hope that driver update can fix that problem..

Did you have Rice Krispies in the vocal booth?

Sorry, seriously, you're getting a crackle from somewhere. I don't think it's a grounding problem. Doesn't sound like clipping. Maybe a bad cap in the mike? Not sure, but assuming it's in the microphone (only crackles when you sing). Have you got another to swap out and try? If you get the same noise, we might have to go downstream....bad cable, bad Phantom supply, bad something in the mike chain.

I take record in a small room, almost half of its space is full of wardrobe. So, i don't use any vocal booth because insufficient space.

Yes, thank you :) i'll try to borrow my friend' gear and replace each of them on my gear to find out which one is defect.

About mic cap, i don't use any mic cap. But i don't know if this thing would affect. I use Rode NT1A. When i set the mic on the shockmount, it came in awkward angle. So, i decided not to go to (full tight).

Do you hear that while playing in your DAW? Or is it just after export?

Much more precise info as to your recording chain and gear is necessary to give proper insight.

First, i plugged mic + headphone into focusrite 2i2. Then i plugged focusrite 2i2 into usb port on laptop. At that time, whenever i spoke, i can hear my voice at my headphone monitor very clear and no noise such as in that recording. The noise came when i clicked "R" button on adobe.. Not "record" but the "R" button which i think it allows input to get into the software..
And the noise exists since that moment..

Maybe it sounds a bit odd. But, i tried to change the battery power plan, from POWER SAVER into ENERGY STAR QUALIFIED and....... The noise is remain only 10%. Next time i'll upload my recording. I'm still on my exam weeks.

I tried to disable some network adapter and internal driver related to sound but i notice nothing happened..

Yeah, it appears to be software. BTW, cap is short for capacitor...i.e. unwanted random electrical discharge could be caused by. Sometimes I forget we are in a global community (especially if you don't list a location). Good to see there's a track to follow. Have you tried Sweetwater's optimization guide?

Yeah, it appears to be software. BTW, cap is short for capacitor...i.e. unwanted random electrical discharge could be caused by. Sometimes I forget we are in a global community (especially if you don't list a location). Good to see there's a track to follow. Have you tried Sweetwater's optimization guide?

I already tried the guides (i haven't done the update for network&graphic card yet) but the static noise still came..

https://m.soundcloud.com/sean-joshua

Back