What kind of microphone for ambient sound?

joshua288

Hello. I am using In-Ear monitors connected to a RockOn TastyBlender earphone mixer.
Rock On Audio - LIM-002
It has a 1/4" phone jack, Line level (bal/un-bal) input. I want to find a small microphone to plug-in to this jack to supply the ambient sound of the stage. I would prefer a very small microphone that doesn't need it's own preamp. Is there such a thing? Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

Attachments

• tasty_blender_v2_usermanual.pdf
    795.5 KB · Views: 12
Hello. I am using In-Ear monitors connected to a RockOn TastyBlender earphone mixer.
Rock On Audio - LIM-002
It has a 1/4" phone jack, Line level (bal/un-bal) input. I want to find a small microphone to plug-in to this jack to supply the ambient sound of the stage. I would prefer a very small microphone that doesn't need it's own preamp. Is there such a thing? Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

First off, Nice gear! Using any mic, condenser or dynamic will need its own supply. As far as "being such a thing", not that I am aware of that your in ear box will run. Maybe someone else here has some better advice but I myself, have never seen it.

Gee what a great device, wish it was around when I had an electronic dance music band on in-ears back in the early 2000s, we did the same kind of thing with each member having a small Behringer mixer.

Looks like you need a battery powered omni mic, but the inputs are all line level? What you could do is buy a cheap mic pre, like the Behringer MIC100 or an ART MP, and that way you could plug in a phantom powered mic if required? I am sure there are a 1000 second hand mic pres you could pick up for next to nothing for this job, I suggested the 2 above as they are small.

Alan.

The line-level input will require some kind of preamp, but maybe something like a small digital recorder in the right spot might work? Used the headphone out or line out of that if it has one.

Back