What Equipment Do I Need To Start Producing Ambient Techno Work? Examples Inside...

wick001

I've been recording guitar/vocals/keyboard through my Line6 Toneport for years using Ableton. I'm ready to buy all new gear and want to start producing Ambient/Dark Techno like Tycho - Hours (won't let me post links until 10 posts)

I need input on what to purchase to be able to produce music like this. Should I buy a keyboard workstation like the Korg Kronos? Or go computer software programs with a midi controller?

I need specific details and model numbers on what you think is the best.

Thanks.

I would go with a controller and software. Cubase 7 is very very good for writing/editing midi. The midi editor(s) is top in its field. It comes with a bunch of synths and drum machines to get you started. After that you can add a lot of different synths form Native etc. after

Any good quality controller will work with Cubase.

I've been recording guitar/vocals/keyboard through my Line6 Toneport for years using Ableton. I'm ready to buy all new gear and want to start producing Ambient/Dark Techno like Tycho - Hours (won't let me post links until 10 posts)

I need input on what to purchase to be able to produce music like this. Should I buy a keyboard workstation like the Korg Kronos? Or go computer software programs with a midi controller?

I need specific details and model numbers on what you think is the best.

Thanks.

If you want to separate yourself from the field, I would go and look at some old school synths, Check out the Moogs, you can always get the plugins, but hell everyone's using them. Maybe even go find some old equipment and resurrect it. Use Ableton's sampler and find some strange sounds.

Just going and getting plugins and expecting to sound unique, I think you will only run with the herd.

Just going and getting plugins and expecting to sound unique, I think you will only run with the herd.

Definitely. Everyone is using massive and a bunch of other plug-ins, which just don't sound unique or original at all. Go down the old school path and you'll find yourself a few great tricks and sounds.

Definitely. Everyone is using massive and a bunch of other plug-ins, which just don't sound unique or original at all. Go down the old school path and you'll find yourself a few great tricks and sounds.

I would love to buy old analog synths however after doing some digging and research the ones I want are over $1,000 each. Korg Mono/Poly = $1500, Virus Indigo = $1000, MiniMoog = $3000, Roland Vintage RE-201 Space Echo = $700, Ursa Major Space Station = $1500. That's over $7,700 right there, not to mention some sort of drum station.

Software is really the way to go on a budget. I just went out to guitar center and bought a Alesis Q49 midi controller for $70 new. I've been messing about with Ableton using the midi controller and I'm getting some nice sounds already, however the included sounds are limited.

Where can I get new sounds?

I would love to buy old analog synths however after doing some digging and research the ones I want are over $1,000 each. Korg Mono/Poly = $1500, Virus Indigo = $1000, MiniMoog = $3000, Roland Vintage RE-201 Space Echo = $700, Ursa Major Space Station = $1500. That's over $7,700 right there, not to mention some sort of drum station.

Software is really the way to go on a budget. I just went out to guitar center and bought a Alesis Q49 midi controller for $70 new. I've been messing about with Ableton using the midi controller and I'm getting some nice sounds already, however the included sounds are limited.

Where can I get new sounds?

First, why do you have to get it all at once?
OK, Using Ableton's Sampler, I would go and get some sounds, sample them and use them as a device. You can also use the analog generated and create your own sounds. Part of what you are getting into is a little more deeper and just playing an instrument. Start looking at some of the videos on Ableton and it will show you how to craft your own sounds. There is Simpler, Sampler and Analog, Operator, all of these can be used to create a device.

So, even if you can't afford to get all of that stuff, you can still create you own sounds. For example, you can record rubbing on the side of a rubber mat and create a unique bass sound. You can hit a glass of water and create a high sound. Put it in sampler, map it to a keyboard controller and you have a new device, combine it with Analog and now you have a new device, throw more sounds on that, play with the pitch, reverse and now you have something different.

You have the tool, not you have to learn how to use it. If you have those packages in Ableton., you don't have to spend another dime and can get some really cool sounds. Just need to learn what you have, be creative and start creating. It is all there.

Back