What do I need now? About vocal recording.

Hi
I had my home recording studio set up in the basement room that I carved out of our basement open space. I put a lot of insulation on all the walls. The idea was to keep from losing heat in the winter from my baseboard heater in the room. The vocal recordings turn out really nice.
Then my family moved into a townhouse in another city recently. The property already had a carpeted basement about 14' x 20' space. So I set up my studio equipment. I am now surprised to find that no matter what I do, the vocals I record all sound like it's coming from a tunnel. What is wrong? Do I now need to insulate? Please advice. Thanks

Patrick

Did you go from a smaller deader space (exposed insulation?), to a larger one, with carpet which doesn't do much but kill some highs?

Did you go from a smaller deader space (exposed insulation?), to a larger one, with carpet which doesn't do much but kill some highs?

+1 ^ In fact, carpet is often the very LAST thing you want in a recording space. Quite often when you have treated a room, bass traps, reflection points, you find it a bit dull and putting shiny stuff on the floor helps put back a bit of "sparkle". In our tiny, dead 12'x12.5'x8.5' (W,L,H) "studio" acoustic guitar was much improved by 2 sheets of 8'x4' hardboard over the carpet.

"Basement" also suggests to me a very low ceiling? Not a lot you can do about that except absorb the bejesus out of everything and use software reverb?

Dave.

Back