What is the best setup for a vocal compressor?

I want to know how could i adjust a compressor on mixing a vocal track.
Thanks in advance.

That is really a hard question to answer. Most of it will depend on how you want the vocals to sound or sit in the mix. The picture below is from one of the compressors I use strictly for vocals. As you can see from the pre sets, the options are endless depending on what you want to achieve.

View attachment 100353

Last edited:
Totally dependent on the what the vocal needs in the context of the mix.

If it means anything, I'd highly suggest taking care of the gross leveling before even bothering with putting the compressor on the track.

My favourite always starts on a specific preset, but the actual operation needs to be done playing the track, or while tracking if you're one of the people who do that (I don't). Sometimes even having a break, then going back to a track means you don't like what you selected. For me, it's purely down to the ears.

For years when I was first doing this I liked uncompressed everything, then a bit of bass and vox compression crept in, and now I can detect compression much easier. When teaching in college, very few students could hear compression, until their ears got trained to be more discriminate. You have to learn how it sounds, and what to tweak if you don't like the result.

Back