what am i doing wrong?!?!

jamal buchet

i have been reading alot in the mixing sextion and have heard the advice.."play your c.d on different types of systems..car stereo home stereo boom box..ect..to hear what it sounds like ...ok but...in order to burn a c.d on my recorder(boss1180)..i have to master tracks...and or finalize...after wich i dont know how to get the tracks back to the point i can still adjust them...am i missing something...i really want to get better at mixing down.but i am stuck is this just a problem with the brand of recorder i bought???...help.

jamal

No, you didn't get a "lemon" - non-recordable CD decks, such as car, home stereo, boombox, etc, can NOT read a CDR until it's been "closed", or "finalized" So, what this means is that you have to burn your song to CDR and finalize it BEFORE you can play it on other, non-recording CD decks. If you only burn one song to a CDR, then finalize the CDR, then you can't write anything else to that CDR - This isn't too bad if you buy bulk spindles for this purpose, and only use expensive ones for "Masters" - Or, If you use CD-RW's for this, and your CD players are all relatively new, they will PROBABLY be able to read the CD-RW, and you CAN erase the CD-RW afterward if you want, or add tracks. Your 1180 is normal, that's just the "nature of the beast" for ALL CD burners... Steve

thanks i understnd that part what im confused about is..f im trying to determine what i need to change on the mix and its already on a c.d....that means its been finalized and i cant make any changes anyway...when i go back into the recorder and pull up the song that i have been trying on my car stereo...it comes up already mastered so how can i get the song back to its pre-mastered state in order to make the changes to make the mix batter.??..dang now im even confusing myself....does this make sense??

Yo Jamal:

Let's simplify:

You record a song on your gear. You mix it down to something or burn your CDR direct.

If you don't erase the original recording, you can go back and re-tweak the tracks. If you erase the original recording, you are finished.

You can route the CDR cut back into your recorder but you can't do much since your CDR has been done in stereo tracks.

So, if you save your tracks, you can mix them down and tweak as many times as you want.

As mentioned by another member, once you FINALIZE your CDR, you're all done recording on that disc.

Suggestion: take your tracks and make a stereo track, record it on the CDR; then, erase the stereo tracks and do another mix, and repeat until you have several versions of your original.

Keep twiddling the dials,
Green Hornet

:D ;) :p :p :p :p :p

thanks alot guys.!

ok i found function called"copy".duh....that alows me to do just that make a few copys of where im at and tweak away at my discretion!!!...yes!!!..i have found that alot of the answers i have found on here are so simple...i think i just get frustrated to easily..so thanks for putting up with me ...until the next idiotic question.....im gunna go burn me some muusak..

jamal

Back